• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2018 Crashing: "The network connection was lost for the file"

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently made the update to Adobe InDesign from CC 2017 (12.1.0) to CC 2018 (13.0) and immediately started having issues.

When I open up a pervious InDesign document from my LaCie external hard drive and re-save (Save As) the file, InDesign crashes with the following error: “The network connection was lost for the file _____.indd, or the file was modified by another process”

Followed by another error message: “Error: Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recovery work in any unsaved InDesign documents.”

If I re-save the same document on my desktop or internal hard drive I have no issues. It seems like re-saving a document from the external hard drive to the external hard drive is causing major issues with the new InDesign update. Any one having similar experiences with this? Are there any fixes?

Here are my specs:

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 4.55.12 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Hi,

We believe we have a fix available for the same. Can you follow the steps mentioned in the following KB document - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-save-as-nas-server.html and confirm if it resolves your issue?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving the document (Save As) to the same external hard drive or to a different external hd? Your screenshot suggests that you have two LaCie drives mounted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm saving to the same external hard drive (same file location just with an updated file name).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently made the system updates to MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.31.1) as well as the updates to Adobe InDesign (13.0.1) and still having the same crash issues. See screenshot below. Is there a specific reason why this issue has not been addressed/fixed in both these Mac and Adobe updates?

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 11.16.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on a fix for this yet?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Qnap NAS via SMB and OS X Sierra.

Worked fine before the update, now I get this crash every couple of times I try to save something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We believe we have a fix available for the same. Can you follow the steps mentioned in the following KB document - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-save-as-nas-server.html and confirm if it resolves your issue?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone... this fix seems to work great on our system here.... phew!!!!!! back to normal again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanyam,

THANK YOU for your fix! It seems to be helping me -- 3 docs saved to the network so far with no crashes. THANK YOU so much for devoting some time to making a fix. It is greatly appreciated!!

Kind regards,

Leah Hanlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the fix?????? It's not at that link any more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanyam,

Is there a Windows fix to this as yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need a fix for Windows please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send the link again to the new location, this link is invalid now and does not lead to the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we're having the same problem saving indesign files to our mac mini server... we have to save the file onto local desktop and drag the doc over onto the server were the original file is located... its a work around but if you forget... indesign just crashes!!!....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a remote session with Adobe support and they know about the crashes and told me that they are working on a solution for the next update. Up till then it's back to Indesign 2017 or working locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here for everyone in the office. Saving to our NAS crashes the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem in our office. InDesign crashes when trying to Save As. It creates the new file on the server and saves the info, but crashes before it gets back to InDesign. Deleting the temp file and re-opening the Save As file seems to work and retain everything. Definitely not ideal workflow since you have to restart InDesign EVERY time you save as, but at least the data is saved. I hope Adobe can resolve this issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Since updating to CC 2018 overwriting existing INDesign documents and saving new files to a Synology 415+ server crashes the application every time. The file is created, but a relaunch is then needed. Having to save the desktop and drag files over. Need a fix for this, and soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, too! I'm on iMac with High Sierra & CC 2018. I can't save to our company's server without the "network connection was lost" error & InDesign crashing. It is fine if I save to my computer's hard drive. Interestingly enough, I noticed that I was able to save from Photoshop CC 2018 to the network. Adobe: PLEASE fix this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horrific.  I thought it was just me.  Every time I try to save over an indd doc, it asks to save as 2018 and then freezes.  Also, after working in InDesign as I always have, my cursor changes to this weird block that phases and I can't do anything.  It requires me to not only Force Quit, I also have to restart my iMac.  I, too, just upgraded to High Sierra and Adobe CC 2018.  Really cuts into production time and deadlines.  Please FIX! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I have a small external 2.5" hdd connected to my fritzbox router and access via smb. Indesign CC 2018 crashes whenever i try to save a file onto the network storage. This is so frustrating -.- hope they will fix this very soon, the workaround (saving locally then moving the files) really is driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update this morning... installed and..... issue still not resolved, crashed just the same as before....  Adobe argggg!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disappointed to see that this bug still exists after the Nov 17 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same problem, InDesign had another update today, still same problem. This is a major problem for us when we can't save to the server, even when you save to the desktop then copy to server, when you go to open the copied file it gives same message about every 5th to 6th time. VERY frustrating when you are on a deadline, Adobe this need to be fixed SOON!!!!!

Going to go back to Quark if not!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted com.adobe.InDesign.plist  from user/preferences and restarted InDesign and problem has gone (at least for now)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines