• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2018 Not supporting PPD(example Prinergy refinery PPD) with Mac OS Version 10.13.4

Participant ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL

Recently we come across this new issue In MAC OS 10.13.4. While creating PS to PDF (CMD+p) we need to select the PPD. Eventhough we placed the PPD in  corresponding folder but it not shown in PPD dropup menu.

But in PC it working fine.

Any one face this kind of issue, please sugggest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

HI ALL:

At last we found the solution, Some default printer was added in the printer which was not in use. After removing it we can able to see the PPD in Indesign while creating PS to PDF.

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you doing this?

That is a horribly archaic method of PDF creation. Why not just export it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

One of our client still using this method for pdf creation, for rest of the client we are following Export pdf option only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, why?

Even if you need the most dumbed down PDF, you can export to PDF/X1-a and get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, you'll do your client a favor (and create a better relationship) if you tell them when they are doing something vastly wrong.

Here's a piece I wrote 12 years ago for InDesignSecrets.com that explains why Distiller and PostScript is a bad choice:

https://indesignsecrets.com/creating-pdf-export-or-use-distiller.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that post. Can’t believe it’s been that long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Thanks for your response, I already explain to the client regarding the advantage of export PDF. But still that printer wants to create PS to PDF.

This option was there in Indesign CC 2018 or it was disabled please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

I've created the setup before. It works for me in InDesign CC 2017 and the current InDesign CC 2018.1. I'm running macOS 10.13.6, the current version of High Sierra. As you can see, in the screen capture below, some extra PPDs successfully show in the menu in my setup:

InDesign CC072.png

It's important for the PPDs folder name to be spelled correctly, and to be in the right path. This is the way to set it up:

Finder017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We already placed the PPD in the path that you mentioned. I attached screen shot for your reference. The below screen shot is from CC 2018 and MAC OS 10.13.5

In Mac OS 10.13.5, Indesign CC 2017 and 2018 if we place the PPD in that path you mentioned it was not shown while creating PS

If we use MAC OS 10.10.6 and for Indesign CC 2017 its working fine and the PPD was shown while creating PS

I have some doubt with MAC OS compatability may be a issue?

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 4.43.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 4.44.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest that ID wasn't recognising it because it didn't have the .ppd extension, but then I noticed that it wasn't recognising the ADPDF9.PPD either, which is odd. It's working fine here (ID 13.1.0.76, OS X 10.13.6).

According to the Kodak's documentation, the only purpose of the Prinergy Refiner PPD is for creating Postscript Files out of QuarkXPress (where Prinergy Refiner, rather than Distiller, would be converting to PDF).

Like Bob suggests, the chances of prepress discerning between a PDF generated the way you're attempting to, and one exported direct to PDF/X1-a, are slim-to-none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL

I understand the thing what bob says that export direct to PDF/X1a, But my scenario is I just added ADPDF8.PPD  in the preset folder as mentioned above, but it not listing in PPD drop menu.

There is any specific reason why is not listed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my scenario is I just added ADPDF8.PPD  in the preset folder as mentioned above, but it not listing in PPD drop menu.

There is any specific reason why is not listed?

I don't think the PDF 8 PPD is supported in the latest ID.

Try ADPDF9.PPD:

Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We placed the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD alone in that folder but it also not work for me, We also done by reinstalling the  CC 2018 that also not work for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the same captures as your #10 withe the 9.0 version installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it goes

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 4.16.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 4.16.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't seem right with the PPD, looks like it has an exec icon, but it should be a Document.

Try this. When you expand the zip archive the modification date should be Oct 23 2013:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PDF9.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still this issue was not fixed,

If I place the same PPD in CC 2017 in MAC OS 10.10.5 it working fine for me, if I placed the same PPD in MAC OS 10.13.4 and In CC 2018 its not recognising the PPD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be worth a try:

Open the PPD file in TextEdit.

Select all and Copy.

Paste into a new TextEdit document.

Save as, making sure you change the extension to .ppd (make sure 'Hide Extension' isn't selected).

Put the new PPD file where it should go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having said all this, the fact remains anyone producing or requesting distilled PDFs from InDesign is on borrowed time. It's only a matter of time until there are no workarounds to enable this misguided practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe check the PPDs folder permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes we have folder permission for that folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also maybe do the OS update. The current version is 10.13.6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to check on this IOS version 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also checked in OS 10.13.6 with CC 2017, it also not work for us. We need to place the PPD anywhere apart from Preset -- PPDs folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We reinstalled indesign but it also not works

Maybe try a reinstall using Adobe Cleaner?

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines