• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC 2018 Not supporting PPD(example Prinergy refinery PPD) with Mac OS Version 10.13.4

Participant ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL

Recently we come across this new issue In MAC OS 10.13.4. While creating PS to PDF (CMD+p) we need to select the PPD. Eventhough we placed the PPD in  corresponding folder but it not shown in PPD dropup menu.

But in PC it working fine.

Any one face this kind of issue, please sugggest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

HI ALL:

At last we found the solution, Some default printer was added in the printer which was not in use. After removing it we can able to see the PPD in Indesign while creating PS to PDF.

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We tried and reinstall in multiple system but it not works. No one have face this kind of issue?

As per my above table statement in Mac os 10.10.5 its working fine in CC 2015 but the same 2015 was installed in Mac OS 10.13.3 PPD not supporting. We think that there is any compatabiity issue with MAC OS greater than 10.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but did you uninstall and then use the Adobe Cleaner Tool before reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We think that there is any compatabiity issue with MAC OS greater than 10.13.

It's working for me on 10.13.6 with CC2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for my with CC 2018 and Mojave (10.4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this. I would like to know if the issue is resolved or it still persists? If it is still not working, please try contacting our support team for One to One support.

Contact Customer Care

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti

Still we  are having this issue, we already contact with Apple support (regarding OS) and confirm that there is no issue from their side. But still we can't able to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have you trashed your InDesign Caches folder and if that doesn't work delete your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We reinstalled indesign but it also not works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We reinstalled indesign but it also not works

A reinstall wouldn't necessarily clear the caches or prefs.

Remove these folders and restart ID. You might want to move the prefs folder out on to your desktop so you can restore them if clearing them doesn't work

/Users/usrname/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 13.0

/Users/usrname/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 13.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL

We Tried the above option but still its not work I attached the details for further analysis

For one of my customer still we need PS to PDF creation. We worked in MAC OS 10.10.5 indesign 2015 PPD it showing fine. But if we installed CC 2015 in Mac OS 10.13.3 PPD is not showing while creating Postscript file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear...

Are you a printer with a client who prints to PDF?

Is your client a printer that requires artwork to be printed to PDF?

Is your client using a printer that requires artwork to be printed to PDF?

Whatever the answer, any prepress professional that insists on obsolete (and now it appears, impossible) methods, will soon find themselves exactly where they belong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you canā€™t get it working, I can almost guarantee that if you send a PDF/X1-a file the printer wonā€™t even know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have never worked in a pre-press with client supplied files.   Simply exporting a pdf does not show errors that will occur at the RIP when making plates.  You only need to be burned one time by this simple export method to know it is always best to Print to a PS then distill.  It will show you where errors may be BEFORE they make it to the Press Floor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

troyb99136792  schreef

it is always best to Print to a PS then distill.

Boy, you are wrong in so many ways! Maybe in 1995 or so, but  it is always WRONG . No advanced CM, no live transparency. It is archic. Please educate yourself on PDF X/4. And on Preflight While youā€™re at it.

You live in the past mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply exporting a pdf does not show errors that will occur at the RIP when making plates.

Could you give an example of an Export error that would create a problem in the RIP?

The downside of distilling a postscript file is limited color management and flattened transparency, but you can export a PDF that is flattened and converted into color managed CMYK via the PDF/X-1a preset. What error would a PDF/X-1a cause that a distilled PDF wouldn't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss communicated -- we have an issue with our RIP  It will not break out spot colors if we send a pdf to it that is not already separated it will output everything grayscale.  Since I cannot seem to figure out how to EXPORT to a separated PDF -- I use the ps to distiller method.  I only do this for spot color jobs and I only do it to accommodate our known RIP issue.  

If you can explain how to output a separated pdf -- I am all ears.  

I do get put off by people in this forum -- who are condescending to prepress folks that still prefer the PS method -- back in the day when outputting was just becoming the norm, there were awful things happening between prepress and plates.  Fonts would drop -- pics would disappear and those are the better issues we dealt with.  PS to distiller was the only safe option then.  

I understand why some would not want to leave that route.  To this day I remember issues that .jpg use to have with dropping info -- I still use .tifs because of that burn.   BUT when all is said and done, if someone can tell me how to color separate a 5 color file by exporting to pdf -- I would be 1 happy camper.   And perhaps they could be nice while doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion has been branched to a separate thread at [Branched] Exporting Pre-Separated PDF? (Was: Indesign CC 2018 Not supporting PPD [example Prinergy ... .

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

troyb99136792  wrote

You must have never worked in a pre-press with client supplied files.   Simply exporting a pdf does not show errors that will occur at the RIP when making plates.  You only need to be burned one time by this simple export method to know it is always best to Print to a PS then distill.  It will show you where errors may be BEFORE they make it to the Press Floor.

I've worked in pre-press with client supplied files for long enough to remember when your advice had a basis in reality. It doesn't anymore. Even older Harlequins can handle X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the following?  I have this issue you are having with every single major CC upgrade I copied this from my 2017 post -- but it just worked for me today -- as I was having the same issue you are.  Hope this helps:

I just had an issue that I thought I would share.. I went to print to my Xitron RIP for the first time after installing Indesign CC 2017.

All my files were printing out in 8.5x11 - when, in fact, the document setting was 22.25 x 17.25.  After finding no results in my search amongst community members I launched an investigation of my own.

What I found was that despite Adobe telling me it was saving all my presets and settings.. it failed to make a ppd folder in the presets folder.  As soon as I made a presets folder and relaunched Indesign 2017, everything worked properly.

I found the needed spot to be:   applications > Adobe Indesign 2017 > Presets -- add "PPDs" folder here and place your ppds inside.  Relaunch Indesign 2017 and all will be right with the world again.

*** UPDATE with 2019 ***  Just today -- it actually made the preset folder.  And there are other folders in it.  HOWEVER, it only made a "Preset" Shortcut inside the folder.  The shortcut went nowhere.  I copied my preset folder out of 2018 that had all my saved presets as well as my folder for PPDs.  I deleted the Shortcut and replaced it with my 2018 presets folder.   Relaunched 2019 and BOOM! My ppd is back.

Hope this saves others time..

Janet Loper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI ALL:

At last we found the solution, Some default printer was added in the printer which was not in use. After removing it we can able to see the PPD in Indesign while creating PS to PDF.

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also generate .ps files to distill. I prepare book covers with spot colors for separate plates for stamping, debossing, varnish...

I know the plate makers should be able to print separations from a pdf, but for some reason, they still request separations. 

Incidentally, I did find a simpler way to show the customer the seps. I view each plate separately in separations preview and take screen shots. This way I don't need to do that "archaic" step until the end of the project.

But hey, I'm open to any better suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines