• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 performance issues / crashes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having major performance issues with InDesign or having crashes? I can't move some textboxes (it just hangs until a couple of seconds), sometimes the program crashes after I moved a textbox. This started after the update to the recent version...and it's annyoing as hell!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

The latest build seems to be working for me - (v 14.0.1.209, win10, x64)  - hurray!

No more text box delay / program crashes (however, others have commented in another thread that the same build did not fix their issues). Here is the link if you don't want to wait for the official release.

link: Adobe Prerelease​

One thing to be aware of ... in the Creative Cloud "Apps" interface - it doesn't recognize INDD as being installed. I am hoping that this is a non-issue - but thought it was worth pointing

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, i'm still waiting for a response from the chat room

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is anyone getting this message? ---> Cannot open the file ...... Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happens when you're trying to open a file from a newer version in an older version. Need to export as idml for that to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried opening the document in the 2018 version and it didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see above; need to export as idml to open in earlier version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to open in 2019, export as idml, then open THAT in 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - was busy working on a brochure - when I wanted to 'Save as' (which I do regularly during the design process)  it just said the file was in use by another application and couldn't be saved. Had to resave doc as something else. Plus the joy of the text tool freezing, plus the tabs jumping when converting text to paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When this happens I normally try to save as an idml file.

Open in an earlier version of InDesign to re-build the file. Quicker than having to re-import from word docs…

Regards

David Cutler

[personal information removed per policy - https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731]

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

[If you are posting using email, please turn your 'sig file' function OFF for posting]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you update the entire suite, but I have to still keep the earlier versions as well, and save all my documents as idml's (because it is with any document that I get errors) and then open and rebuild it in the previous version of InDesign because the latest version that took 6 hours to download does not work? So what's the use of the 2019 version then? Clients don't care about how you get a job done, they just expect it to be done, I cannot give the excuse of software issues to a client as a reason why their work is late or has to be redone. I mean seriously the text tool in InDesign is sort of the most used tool in the program, it worked in every previous version, now suddenly it takes about a minute just to get the tool to respond! Distribute spacing align does not work at all, converted text does the weirdest things, photoshop crashes, premiere crashes a lot. Saving often is the best practice, but in premiere yesterday my file crashed 4 times when I tried saving files, lost my changes, had to redo everything. Time might be nothing for you, but most designers bill per hour, so every hour wasted is money wasted. Please sort all the issues out in the 2019 suite as soon as possible, All adobe users will be happy about it, not only me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody thought that maybe the new character features are too much for any computer?

I don't think that the programmers that made this update are graphic designers. On a regular computer, with system fonts, I'm sure that it works as a charm, but we install new fonts almost every day.

The new character panel lets you select some text and preview it in all your installed fonts at once. In my case 1554 fonts.

Somebody said it was maybe a problem of some third party font. But we are working with all kinds of fonts on our daily routine and we must be able to do it.

Not only because we LIKE that fonts, but because many times you have to work with earlier versions of some company's image and you got to install whichever fonts the previous designer used to make it work.

So, the new features are very cool, but I've been using many font viewers in the last years and they are always slow. ALL OF THEM. Because you can't expect to load 1554 fonts and preview a text fast. At least if you don't have a computer from the NASA.

And before you ask it, I work in MAC and in WINDOWS with different versions and all of them are freezing when I try to type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.... it sounds like the break through

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and to make it clear, in my case it just freezes for half a minute.

But, WTH, I pay the cost of a program EVERY YEAR. Please, make it work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you pay every month!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

minguimore  wrote

Has anybody thought that maybe the new character features are too much for any computer?

I'm not dismissing the claims here, but not everyone is seeing these issues. The only text related issue I'm seeing is the initial delay when using the type tool. It takes about 10 seconds to become active after the app is launched. After that no issues.

I'm on Win 10 1809 6th gen i7 with 32GB of RAM and, this may or may not be a factor, a solid state drive. My laptop is an 8th gen i7 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD.

Everything is quite snappy on both. So, this is clearly an issue for some but certainly not all.

You have two choices, work with the engineers that are trying to get to the bottom of it (which would help you, the engineers and your fellow InDesign users), or roll back to CC2018 while they try to get to the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, sounds like you figured out where the problem lies. Now, how to fix it is another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true. This will help me until Adobe sort out a proper fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just plain crashing on opening, even when deleting preferences before or during (Ctrl+Shift+Alt) start. On a WIndows 7SP1 PC. Changing back to 2018 for now, I've got work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the rest of your system specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a very long shot, but are you overclocking that processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beats me. This is the computer that they have me working on. It's set up as a CAD system for Solidworks. Is overclocking a bad thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't be but that's an ancient operating system with new hardware and new software. Have you checked for updated video drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

"overclocking the processor" as cause of the issue is a good point.

There are some reports around in this forum that suggest to end overclocking. At least while installing. It's no problem for running InDesign when overclocking the processor, but the installation could be damaged.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot. This machine has NVIDIA Quadro P400. I did the auto update. I guess I'll see what happens when I reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo on updating the display adapter driver! I successfully opened InDesign v14.0

Thanks, Bob! I wish our IT guy was as helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines