• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2020 causes my Mac to crash.

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have had an ongoing issue with several of the Creative Suite apps, but most notably InDesign. I am running a MacBook pro that is a year old, and have the latest OS and the latest InDesignCC.

Every once in a while when in InDesign, my computer will start to lag and my mouse will crawl around the screen before I hear a big woosh sound and my computer shuts down. Usually it resoluves itself after a couple restarts.

At one point 8 months or so ago it was persisting and I couldn't operate InDesign or Photoshop without my computer crashing. I found the tip on here about turning off GPU in my preferences. That seemed to fix it . . . until recently.

A couple weeks ago this problem happened again, even with GPU off. I brought my computer to Apple. They ran diagnostics on the software and hardware, found nothing wrong, and wiped my computer for a clean start. Last night I reinstalled the Creative Suite, and the problem is happening again. I have trouble even getting into the program to check the preferences. I was able to get in and turn off GPU, and InDesign was running. So I tried quitting and restarting it, and it was lagging again. If I can get past the AIGPUSniffer part of the opening process, it seems I am in the clear — but I don't know for sure it is related to that.

Getting very frustated . . . any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Hello, I was operating with the latest InDesign (updated from the cloud) and the latest update of Catalina.

I had already brought in my computer, so I was unable to try the steps you provided. Because Apple had run a couple checks and found no issues — and I had reinstalled the software andwas still having issues — they recommended sending it in for additional hardware checks. Likely I will end up with a new logic board. If the issue persists even with that fix, I will definitely try the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing version of the OS & InDesign? I'd request following the troubleshooting steps given below and let us know if they help:

1. Reset Preferences: - 
  • Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

1. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the InDesign. 

1. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: 
  • Go to Terminal (Go Utilities Terminal.app) 
  • Execute the following command on terminal to provide permission: 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign 
    • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I was operating with the latest InDesign (updated from the cloud) and the latest update of Catalina.

I had already brought in my computer, so I was unable to try the steps you provided. Because Apple had run a couple checks and found no issues — and I had reinstalled the software andwas still having issues — they recommended sending it in for additional hardware checks. Likely I will end up with a new logic board. If the issue persists even with that fix, I will definitely try the above.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines