Highlighted

InDesign CC 2020 shortcuts suddenly stopped working

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, today I noticed a couple of my usual InDesign shortcuts have suddenly stopped working, specifically using the shift key to draw straight lines and holding down the option key to duplicate a text or picture box. The only change I've made recently is updating my OS to 10.15.4. Would that have caused this? In past versions of InDesign I've been able to hold down shift+control+option+command to reset and that's typically cleared up any problem, but that doesn't seem to be working when I quit and relaunch the program. I've reset my computer as well but have had no success. Any ideas? Thank you.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign CC 2020 shortcuts suddenly stopped working

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, today I noticed a couple of my usual InDesign shortcuts have suddenly stopped working, specifically using the shift key to draw straight lines and holding down the option key to duplicate a text or picture box. The only change I've made recently is updating my OS to 10.15.4. Would that have caused this? In past versions of InDesign I've been able to hold down shift+control+option+command to reset and that's typically cleared up any problem, but that doesn't seem to be working when I quit and relaunch the program. I've reset my computer as well but have had no success. Any ideas? Thank you.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm still having these issues. When I try to hold shift+control+option+command to reset the preferences like in previous versions of InDesign, nothing happens. Does that function still work in CC 2020? Also the only file I'm seeing like the preferences ones described in the previous posts are something called applicationpreference.plist. Should I try deleting that? I don't use this program called Webroot, whatever that is. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign through the Creative Cloud. This all started when I updated by OS to 10.15.4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the character combination still works for deleting the preferences. You can delete the preference files manually, refer the post given below

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/troubleshooting-weird-indesign-problems/td-p/11006337?page=1

Next thing is try using InDesign first thing after the machine boots, so that we can rule out if some rouge application is blocking the use of these keys. Shutdown any antivirus software you might have and then try as well. If nothing works then time permitting you could try reinstalling InDesign, make sure your delete preferences when you do this.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope your issue is resolved now by following suggestions given by Manan. If it is, please mark the correct answer or share the solution so that other users can get help from that as well.

If it is not, please follow instructions on Apple article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh35591/mac and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0