• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2021 save as option keeps saying my files are damaged, for ALL my files.

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have updated to the latest version of InDesign (v16.0.1 x64), everytime I open an existing InDesign file (.indd), it comes up with this error: "InDesign is having difficulty reading some unsaved changes in "xxx.indd". It may damage the file. Would you like us to try and repair the file? Some unsaved changes may be lost." and then two options "Repair" or "Cancel". If you choose repair it loses all changes you may have made to the file, and then it asks you to save a file called "xxx_recovered.indd" somewhere.

I now know to save the file on opening up first, to do the repair, then do the changes. But I think this error happens to the newly repaired files too, when you come to alter those.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? It has never happened to me this frequently before?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

It's very strange.

Try resetting your preferences

1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

If that isn't working try the CC Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Other option

Try least one fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very strange.

1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

If that isn't working try the CC Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Other option

Try least one file and using File>Export and choose IDML - open that up and save it as your InDesign file.

See if it happens again.

There could be minor corruption in your files and IDML route is a good way to fix it.

If this does fix it, open your files in the version of InDesign they were created and export the IDML and try open the IDML file in the new version of InDesign.

Bothersome I know, but at least it might give an indication to what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene,

I did the first part of your solution:

And it seems to have cleared up the error messages. However, should it come back I will try and use the rest of your guidance. I will report back if the problem returns.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David & Eugene!

The screenshot is showing a new feature of InDesign 16.0.

Don't know if that helps, but see:

Detect damaged documents and recover
You can save time in troubleshooting the damaged documents. InDesign detects the damaged documents and try to repair them on Adobe servers. When you open a document, if the document is damaged, a prompt appears to choose to repair the document

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/whats-new/2021.ug.html

Also:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/recovery-undo.ug.html#recovery-as-se...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Thank you - i didn't even spot the attachment, the link in the posts are tiny, I skimmed over it.

Thanks for pointing that out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm getting the same error message, on every file that I open. I tried following the instructions to type "Shift+Option+Command+Control" after Indesign launches but nothing happened—I didn't see whatever preference window I was supposed to.

I'm on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 using InDesign 16.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi (LauraC),

Quit out of InDesign, then, going to your applications folder, open the ID folder and hold down all four keys with your left hand as you double click the application icon. You'be presented with a dialog box asking if you want to reset prefs. Click yes, or whatever the option is to accept.

mjb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly for me by quitting my preferences. Thank you so much mjb! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liz,

more details from the help files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having similar issue. Mine is when I make changes to a file and then try to save it.

I get a message that the file is damaged and can't be saved. Then ID crashes. After it restarts, I see that the file was indeed saved correctly after all....

I spoke with a colleague who is having similar issues.

Never had these issues before. Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines