Exit

Indesign CC automatically cleared object style overrides across book

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I couldn't find any solutions for this one on the forum, so here it goes:

We are working with a .indb document composed of 7 documents. This is a document that started a few years back (2013) and has been passed around quite a bit between people and program updates but never had any issues.

Now a few weeks back something happened: One day everything was fine, the next day all text frames that had the object style "main text frame" applied, were cleared of all their individual overrides. Which has quite an impact on the document, since the main function of the text frame was to apply certain paragraph styles and their subsequent paragraph styles. For example it will automatically apply these styles in order: Title - Highlight - Body. So for example in certain instances we applied paragraph styles to override "body" with "body list" and now all lists have been converted back to "body".

Nothing out of the ordinary was done to the document between the OK version and the CLEAR OVERRIDES version. For the love of me I can't find why/how that happened since the only way I see that this could happen is manually selecting the textframe on each page and hit the "clear overrides" button.

Am I missing something? Has this happened to any of you?

We'll have to re-do the document "by hand" but I'd like to make sure that this does not happen again and for that I need to understand why this happened in the first place.

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had the same issue happen twice now with different documents based off of the same template. Could it be a glitch with the book file? Hoping someone has some insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

did you synchronize styles when the book file was open?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found out that someone had synchronized the styles in our document, and we hadn't had all the object styles set up. I usually tell people not to synchronize the styles, but I hadn't gotten to him in time Good lesson about the importance of using styles for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Laser said above, the book file HAS to be open.  How would you sync otherwise? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer.  Synchronization is done over the documents in the book, and initiated from the open book window.  The book file needs to be open. ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is not an answer. Synchronization is done over the documents in the book, and initiated from the open book window. The book file needs to be open. ????"

Sure. I have no idea why my question was marked as Correct Answer.

The OP, Stephanie, did not come back on this.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I unmarked Correct Answer from my posted question.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines