Highlighted

InDesign CC crashes always after quit

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC crashes alway after quit. Every time I quit InDesign CC I get the error message that the program crashed. After restarting InDesign CC I have to do all the presettings again. What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign CC crashes always after quit

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC crashes alway after quit. Every time I quit InDesign CC I get the error message that the program crashed. After restarting InDesign CC I have to do all the presettings again. What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, with separate installs on two computers (latest gen iMacs). I tried deleting the program (using the Adobe program deleter) and reinstalling it, and I have the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on my Mac mini. Everytime I quit Indesign it crashes and error message appears.Indesign.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last thing Adobe apps do upon shutting down is to update the present version of the preferences file. If this is not possible the app will crash. Make sure that your permissions are correct.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, but it's still crashing even after making preference permissions correct in the users folder. Unless there is a preference file somewhere else that I don't know about, it's a bug. Also, why don't the other CC fonts crash on quitting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case - checking permissions, deleting and creating new preferences didn't help. InDesign didn't crash on quit until I tried to change default preferences. Then it crashes again and on the next launch I have default preferences again.

I think there's something wrong with workspaces.

Tried again - with default preferences (prior to tailoring workspace to my needs) InDesign exits with modified preferences without problems.

After modifying workspace, creating new, custom look - problem is back and application crashes everytime on quit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using macbook pro retina, the Adobe CC doesn't work, when I choose the tool boxs' text tool, it will be quit.

Can anyone help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sun Alan, please look for bad fonts on your system. Please check if these fonts are installed, then disable or uninstall them:

• Ithornët
  • Typo3-Medium.ttf
  • Typo3Normal.ttf
  • batang.ttf
  • Savoye LET

Also, please follow this KB to troubleshoot fonts on your Mac: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-fonts-mac-os-x.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks PrintFusion4s,

I have not installed the fonts:

• Ithornët
  • Typo3-Medium.ttf
  • Typo3Normal.ttf
  • batang.ttf
  • Savoye LET

BUT i fixed the problem, want share to all users for ref.

Step 1) I backup all of fonts from "user library font folder" ((not the system library)) to desktop new folder

Step 2) Open Font books and delete all user fonts.

Step 3) Then I put back the backup fonts by "A fonts.... > B fonst.... > C fonts.... "into the "user library font folder"

Step 4) "A" fonts put there, then try to open Indd, no problem, "B" fonts... no problem... "C" fonts...

Step 5) I found 2 bad fonts:

• MHeiGB-Bold.ttf
  • MHeiGB-Medium.ttf

Then All fonts is no problem.

BUT the step  2) is a MUST,  because I have 2 macbook pro, when the 2nd times I only delete MHeiGB-Bold.ttf, MHeiGB-Medium.ttf, the indd CC still quit.  After I try step 2) then put all others fonts into  "user library font folder". The indd CC is work.

My english is poor, hope it can help all~

Thanks share~!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange! It seems here are a lot of people with the same problem, but no solution?

So, I'm not sure if I understand the sense of an allnew InDesign Version without working safe and solid ... As well I don't understand the changes of the surface like "back to the nineties" – but that's another story.

Is there anybody from the Adobe Staff who could tell us how long it will take (approx.) to find a solution?

That would be nice – so if it needs longer time, I would prefer to work in InDesign CS6 again.

Thank you for help and further informations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing is happening to me on InDCC/Win7. crashes every time I quit. help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tech4Pub tip worked for me until I set new preferences, then InDesign started crashing on quit again. Remember, this this tip was written for CS6; CC hadn't been released when it was written, and this is a problem unique to InDesign CC. But at least I was able to save interface and pasteboard prefs before the quitting started again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same experience, Sandy.

Occasionally some of my prefs are retained, but CC pretty much always crashes on quit.

I started a different thread about it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I used that tip I changed all permissions off the InDesign prefs (files and folders) into read & write. Maybe that made the difference? Since then, I haven't had any crash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID absolutely needs both read and write permission.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my crash-on-quit problem. (deleting prefs with the startup key command) Thanks, Ralph!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please could you exactly explain how it works?

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow-up: just re-set interface preferences and quit without crash, which means Indesign succeeded in writing a new prefs file. Then I loaded my workspace and successfully quit without crashing.

Sure glad I tried dumping prefs before unnecessarily futzing around with fonts for hours!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pref-dump routine that fixed this issue for me:

With Indesign NOT running, launch Indesign and then immediately hold down Command-Option-Control-Shift (or Option-Control-Shift on PC). You'll get a dialog that prompts you to delete your preferences file or cancle, and warns you about what settings you'll lose if you delete your prefs file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

assuming you're on windows (this is Win7) go here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC (64 bit)\Scripts\startup scripts

make sure you don't have any non-Adobe startup scripts running.

Equalizer (which I love) was the culprit for me.

(meant to post this specifically for eintschgo01; it's Monday, it's early, yada yada yada)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

It seems, that its working. First I thought not, because after selecting again my workspace-settings it crashed again.

So finaly it seems that I have to delet the prefs and as well delet all other settings and start new and fresh again ...

I hope it's working solid now and not changing again, when I do the one "wrong step" causing the crash again?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another follow-up: I'm back to crashing on quit every time now. But I think it may have something to do with saved/loaded workspaces as petewaw suggests above. Looks like Indesign starts crashing on quit after I load my saved workspace. I'll try re-dumping prefs and working without loading a saved workspace for a while and post back on whether or not the COQ returns.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't want to be a nay-sayer, but after I flushed prefs and redid them, InDesign managed to quit a couple of times without crashing but now it's doing it every time again.

I think the solution is to never quit.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you folks still having the problem on mac or windows? just curious. the 3rd party startup script was really the problem for me on Windows. I had tried everything anyone on the forums had suggested...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh-heh, I like how you think!!

I assume you were joking, but this may actually be the workaround until Adobe squashes the bug. My first thought was "but until this is fixed, file restore won't be working!" But I just tested it and it does actually still work correctly--if I force-quit with an unsaved document open, when I relaunch Indesign, the unsaved file restores as expected.

Dave, you're a genius. Adobe... it's still unnerving. Looking forward to a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you folks still having the problem on mac or windows?

Mac here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on a Mac with 10.8.4.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then I'll butt out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaveSofTypefi wrote:

That's the spirit!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But on a more serious note, I'm pretty sure Dave has his install fairly loaded with personalizations, so I wonder if maybe disabling some plugins or scripts as a test might be in order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have figured out the source of my particular issue: I manually migrated in my workspace from a previous version of Indesign (moved the file from the old directory to the new one). I've done this with Indesign updates in the past and didn't give it much thought this time other than to wish Indesign was smart enough to do it automatically or at least offer an import option. At any rate, by trial and error I figurted out that I could load any other workspace without COQ, but as soon as I loaded my old workspace the COQ would begin. Note that I can temporarily load the old workspace, just can't quit while it's loaded without crashing--loading old workspace then switching back to one of the default workspaces allows me to quit with no crash.

So turns out the solution for me is to rebuild my workspace from scratch. I've saved a totally new workspace preset and seem to be stable now quitting and relaunching with reckless abondon and not a single crash. If it comes back for me, I'll post an update here.

Again, my solution is to delete prefs using the launch key-combo, then rebuild my workspace preset and NOT quit Indesign while an old workspace is loaded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Peter, just a handful of preference settings, some shortcut changes and some shortcuts attached to scripts, that's it.

I do run with the interface set to light and the application frame and bar switched off.

If that's all it takes to crash this baby then this baby is one fragile little thing.

I'll stay with not-quitting (until I have to). Of course, one needs to quit to save preferences (a cockamamie scheme if ever there was one but I lost that battle in 2002).

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm another member of the Dead Horse Brigade.

I wonder if the custom workspace clue might be relevant. The whole freakin' GUI was re-written and I wouldn' be surprised if old workspaces caused a hiccup in the same way that old shorcut sets caused trouble when CS5 was introduced.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's strange to me is that the manually-migrated workspace file does show up and load successfully. If (as it seems in my case at least) the "vintage" workspace preset causes the COQ, you'd think someone at Adobe would have noticed and either fixed the problem or made sure that old workspace files simply wouldn't load or even show up in the list when manually filed in the directory.

Perhaps someone at Adobe should consider noticing now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those don't apply to me, Peter. I make my shortcuts and workspaces afresh every time.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue and engineering is investigating hard on this one. Thanks to Sun Alan for his detailed feedback and info that I can share with engineering which will be of additional help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update PrintFusion45 - can you direct us where to download InDesign CS6 so we can keep working while CC is being fixed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after the Adobe plugin,

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-cc-crashing-launch.html

the fonts:

• MHeiGB-Bold.ttf
  • MHeiGB-Medium.ttf

are no problem now.

Thanks

Alan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I installed the update of InDesignCC, with the big hope that the problems are solved ... But nothing happend! InDesign is still crashing every time I quit the program. So, is here somebody who can tell me if there is a solution for this problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, very disappointed that after the Update to InDesign CC 9.01 the application keeps crashing on start and on quit. What are the people at Adobe doing??? I cannot believe that a software that has been developed during more than 13 years comes with major bugs like these.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I was having with InDesign CC crashing on quit stopped when I removed 3rd party startup script. Make sure you don't have any. See the thread here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's at least two months since InDesign CC came out and this stupid, known crashing on quit issue is still not fixed. Deleting preferences helps... the first launch. But on the second launch InDesign goes back to crashing on quit. Since no previous versions of InDesign crashed on quit, perhaps this problem has something to do with Adobe CC's new-found 'cloudiness'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign crashing on quit is not new with CC. It's been with us for a long time.

Still, it would be nice if it didn't.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's about 6 weeks since CC was released and Adobe is aware of the problem. Hopefully something will be coming soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange…I had that problem too with InD CC (Mac), but reinstalled and it went away.

Still have the problem with CS6…reinstalled that too, but it still won't quit correctly.

Some plugin guru's are pointing the finger at Apple's OS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines