• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC export very slow

Explorer ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Exporting a PDF from Indesign CC for a pront job the export time can be from very fast to VER VERY SLOW (have maxed at 45min) this is on the same document and the same export setting to the same location on a local disk.

Example:
I open the document and click export on a random day and click export with high quality settings for the PDF with bleed and crop marks this takes around 2 min.

Later that day i do it again and then the same process takes between 10-45 min.

This have been tested on 2 different computer at the company.

Have adobe adopted the Microsoft minute ????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

I found 4 suggestions at Export to PDF (Print) in InDesign hangs and cannot quit

When I turned preflight off, pdf export dramatically improved! 1-2 seconds instead of 15 seconds - hang.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you don't inform us on

• Operating system
  • computer details
  • what is inside the INDD? EPS (slow) AI, PDF (faster), transparency, images, resolution of images, colorspace etc
  • what are your export settings

We are not able to tell you where the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document content:

8 psd files

3 png file

1 ai file

6 jpg file

Colorspace:

CMYK

(cannot release file viewing)

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

16 GB ram

Core i7 4770S 3.1GHz

Crucial 256GB SSD for software

Seagate baracuda 1TB disk 7200rpm with 64MB cache

Nvidia quadro 4000

Export settings:

(modified part is set crop marks and 3mm bleed)

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMYK? Images or INDD? For images you should use RGB, for vectors CMYK, don't convert before exporting a PDF.

Why are you using High Quylity Print? If you want to bring it to the printer use a X-standard.

I would recommend to use no png, use psd.

But you did not mention the factor which has the hugest impact: the resolution of your images, the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should we use only RGB images? I use CMYK images (psd) so when i make a PDF for print (CMYK) there's no need for conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the best practice.

You get the most versatile and best quality by being able to repurpose you work for particular purposes – for example if you were to be printing for an Inkjet printer that uses CMYK + you would choose High Quality Print from the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets which allows the printer's software to convert or if you were printing commercial litho you would normally choose PDF/X-4 which preserves transparency when converting to CMYK (unless your printer gives you their own spec).

And if you need to produce a screen version – say for the web or an ebook – you have the document in RGB color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

it depends…

If you have artwork in PSD—let's say a product image against transparent background—and you want an applied or painted shadow in CMYK Black only, you better do that job in CMYK. Otherwise you have to maintain one image file for one product shot itself (for argument's sake in RGB) and several files (variations) for the shadow, that always will be target specific.

It's a dilemma, I know…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the useful comment.

Cheers,

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always keep a layered RGB psd but make a CMYK psd for print use.

And i convert to ISOcoated_v2_300 when i make a PDF.

Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you fully updated to 9.2.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not really matter what i try to export to the PDF

The problem is that Indesign has a random time issue when exporting.

So something created with in indesign white background and black text can take instant to export or up to 45 min to export.

and this random time stuff happens no matter what the PDF setting or content i am using.

a white A4 page with black text "font: Arial" should not take up to 45min to export as a PDF

And yes Adobe CC keeps indesign up to date..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you files stored on a network share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and No
Have the issue both with documents on the network as well as local files on the SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Network issues or lack of free space on the SSD could both be factors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue 😕 and its been an issue for quite a bit of time (I think even on CS6)..

I run macbook pro 17" late 2011, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD drive, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB, and latest osx el capitan, latest indesign cc. (it was doing throughout all the osx and indesign versions though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues. Dear lord,  indesign has become a buggy nightmare. Our entire studio has been saving files down to CS6. The pdf exporting is ridiculously slow, the updating of layer comps in placed psds is cringe-worthy... so broken! And don't even get me started on Photoshop 2015... UGH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea, I dont have much issues with illustrator or photoshop, but indesign is just a nightmare.. and dont even try to copy element from indesign (vector object) and paste it to illustrator, because you immediately kill both apps, and possibly the whole computer. when I forget about this, I have to hard reset my book.. 😕 I was expecting when I pay that much money monthly, to have fantastic issue free products.

I also spent meanwhile around 40 minutes with very very slow guy in adobe support, who didnt even know how hot corners on mac work, just keep hitting the lower right corner and going into dashboard all the time.. not good experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Me too, I had to save a file to an earlier version. What are they doing at Adobe? It's not getting cheaper to use, PLEASE FIX IT!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will reiterate that I also have this issue with the latest version of InDesign. I have a 1 page document with a table in it (no images, 9 columns, 15 rows, Arial font). Export to PDF takes up to 10 minutes! This is ridiculous.

I just want to be able to place the table into Illustrator for a wireframe and I can't even select the PDF until InDesign finishes whatever it's trying to do.

InDesign 11.4,.x Mac OS X 10.11.5, 32GB memory and plenty of hard drive space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

PDF export has become very slow for me, as well. The slowdown started abruptly two weeks ago, although no new software or updates were installed during that time, nor were any changes made to the network. All documents are affected, including very simple, one-page files exporting to the "smallest file size" preset. I tried a number of general performance fixes from the Adobe forums, but nothing has worked so far. Our IT department tried cleaning my PC, scanning for malware, and upgrading my network connection speed, but none of them have improved my PDF export speed. Does anybody know what the culprit might be? Thanks in advance for your help!

InDesign CS6

Processor: Intel i5-3330S CPU @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 12.0 GB

Operating System: Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2016 Oct 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem with a Twist (and Possibly Workable Solution for Some of You)

I've had a similar problem with slow PDF export in InDesignCC, unchanged through various InD updates  (currently running the latest version 11.4.1.102 x64 build) on Windows 7 (version 6.1 build7601, SP1).  If I export even the simplest plain text InD documents, the export grinds away, taking 6 to 10 minutes to complete (and can't be cancelled as a background task).  I've tried various suggestions (turning off preflight etc), and nothing works.

BUT ... here's the twist: As long as the first export is grinding away as a background task, I can export PDFs (both of the first document, and any other InD docs that are open) ... AT NORMAL SPEED ... (<10 seconds for a few pages of text, 45 seconds for 50 pages with 30 linked .ai, .psd and .jpeg high res images).

If my document is, say, 160930GermanExports.indd, I'll start by exporting it as del160930GermanExports.pdf.  Then I immediately re-export it (quickly deleting the "del" at the beginning of file name).  Works great.  Hope this helps some of you.  Hope Adobe fixes this, or finds out what the problem is, at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found 4 suggestions at Export to PDF (Print) in InDesign hangs and cannot quit

When I turned preflight off, pdf export dramatically improved! 1-2 seconds instead of 15 seconds - hang.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off preflight worked for me too! Thanks so much for posting that link & answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same problem with 2021 version. The file I used is similar to one I edited a week ago. Old versions made pdf files in 2 seconds, now it is taking several minutes. What happened to InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines