Highlighted

InDesign CC for two people in a company

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, forgive me if this has been covered. I work with a book publishing company, me and another designer are currently running an old version of InDesign (5.5) which serves us well as we do pretty straightforward book layouts, plain text, grayscale photos. I've been creating epubs for the last few years and 5.5 only exports in epub 2, and the industry standard is now epub 3, especially in terms of ebook accessibility.

My questions are, I'm going to get an upgrade to InDesign CC so I'm working with the latest software and producing epub 3, the other designer doesn't create ebooks, but we're wondering if I buy the license, can he use the program as well? Do we need to buy two licenses so we can both use the program, or is there a discounted rate for two licenses instead of the one?

Also, I often start print layouts and give them to him to finalize before going to print, if he stays using 5.5, I'm assuming I can export an IDML file so he can open and work with the file I give him?

Again, apologies if this has been covered, I did some searching but couldn't find anything on my specific issues. My thought is that we'd each need to buy our own license (we work remotely sometimes), but I wanted to be sure before going ahead and buying the plan.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Peter

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant
Yes, you both need to subscribe.
TOPICS
Activation billing and install, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign CC for two people in a company

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, forgive me if this has been covered. I work with a book publishing company, me and another designer are currently running an old version of InDesign (5.5) which serves us well as we do pretty straightforward book layouts, plain text, grayscale photos. I've been creating epubs for the last few years and 5.5 only exports in epub 2, and the industry standard is now epub 3, especially in terms of ebook accessibility.

My questions are, I'm going to get an upgrade to InDesign CC so I'm working with the latest software and producing epub 3, the other designer doesn't create ebooks, but we're wondering if I buy the license, can he use the program as well? Do we need to buy two licenses so we can both use the program, or is there a discounted rate for two licenses instead of the one?

Also, I often start print layouts and give them to him to finalize before going to print, if he stays using 5.5, I'm assuming I can export an IDML file so he can open and work with the file I give him?

Again, apologies if this has been covered, I did some searching but couldn't find anything on my specific issues. My thought is that we'd each need to buy our own license (we work remotely sometimes), but I wanted to be sure before going ahead and buying the plan.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Peter

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant
TOPICS
Activation billing and install, EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I thought, thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can of course export to IDML and your colleague can of course open that in Indesign 5.5

However, any new features introduced after 5.5 - in CS6, CC2017-2020 - won't be carried backwards, as the ability did not exist in 5.5.

If it's relatively simple workflow then stick to your current way of doing things. 

You can of course have 5.5 on your computer too - and use that - and have the CC installed to create your Epub 3. 

There's no reason you have to dump 5.5 - keep working on that version if you must. 

Of course - the best course of action is both to be on the same version, so if you're going CC full time - then it's best your colleague does too.

As far as I know, there is no discount for 2 people, it's 2 separate licenses. You can install on more than one computer, i.e., office computer and a home computer and/or a laptop - but you can't use the same license at the same time, so you are prompted to log out of other locations before you can use the same license on a different computer. 

For instance, at work you are logged in to CC. You go home, and log in there, you will be logged out of the computer in the office.

Hope that helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true in my experience.

You can have both machines open at the same time but having two people working on those machines would be a clear violation of the letter...and spirit...of the EULA.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course - you can have it installed on as many computers as you like - but in the EULA you can only have one machine running the software at any given time. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 0