• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC Shift Key not working

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I'd just hold the shift key down to resize an image or object in InDesign CC to constrain its proportions. Lately when I try to resize an image, the shift key doesn't do anything anymore. It no longer holds the proportions of the image box. Is there a way to fix this problem or is there a new tool that replaces the hot key shortcut? Transform > Scale is taking way too much time to resize an image to the proper size I need it to be.

Any and all help is very appreciated.

-Jon

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Hello Carol, I posted a fix that worked for me perfectly, it was webroot virus scanning software. I turned it off, and the problem disappeared. I only run it at night, when I’m not working. An apple tech told me virus scan software can interfere with key commands.

Not sure if this is your issue, but hope it helps. My macbook pro was fine, the software wasn’t installed on it, it was the mac pro with the virus scanning software that had the issue.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSS. Thank you. You are my hero for the day!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy cow- That worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after the latest update was installed, i cannot size things proportionately either. as mentioned, it's as if the shift key is not working. i did not do anything differently, or change any settings. it just started happening after the update. very frustrating!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the exact same problem. Just installed indesign 2015 on a brand new imac (never used on anything and with no webroot or other applications installed). Indesign downloaded from creative cloud, and the shift/command key doesn´t work at all. Turning on or off smart grid didn´t make any difference. Bit at loss here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost certain that there is some conflicting utility, extension, or browser plug-in that is "grabbing" the use of the Shift key.

In recent time, browser plug-ins or extensions are probably the most likely.

Try rebooting, and don't launch (with startup programs or manually) any other application. Try to see if the problem re-occurs.

If it still does, create a new user and try InDesign in the new user to eliminate corruption or startup software in your normal user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but IMO this is still an adobe bug. It doesn't occur in any other non adobe apps, is a common occurrence, can be triggered by secure input which is a pretty common situation . I've read that adobe uses an outdated method of checking modifier keys. I feel like just because an external app is involved in the equation doesn't mean that it isn't a bug with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit all open programs except Indesign (Safari, Chrome, messages and Franz) and everything worked as normal again. CC2015.2 release.

Didn't had to restart Indesign or reopen any documents (heavy ones).

I don't run any virusscanners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I tried quitting Safari, which immediately solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That probably means that one of the extensions/plug-ins you use with Safari is interfering. You just need to figure out which one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@florianh32030115

Same here but this is on Adobe - I have no extensions on Safari!

#fixitnow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I have a new MacBook, and the shift key doesn't work when resizing proportionally.  I've been going to Object>Fitting>FillFrame Proportionally when I have an object in a frame to resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carol, I posted a fix that worked for me perfectly, it was webroot virus scanning software. I turned it off, and the problem disappeared. I only run it at night, when I’m not working. An apple tech told me virus scan software can interfere with key commands.

Not sure if this is your issue, but hope it helps. My macbook pro was fine, the software wasn’t installed on it, it was the mac pro with the virus scanning software that had the issue.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! That was my issue. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and I just uninstalled webroot and everything works just fine again. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem come up from time to time. Just came up today. All i needed to do was go to Apple menu/Force Quit/Relaunch Finder and shift key is working again.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help with this. In my case, it turns out that it was my

Webroot software that was creating the keyboard problems. I will keep your

email though in case I have additional problems.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it was Chrome what caused problems. One particular website took control over my InDesign. After closing it everything is back to normal: shift, alt and spacebar. I'm on Adobe CC. Mac OS Maverick. What curious: while shift / alt / spacebar hasn't been responding in InDesign - everything was perfect in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Chrome fixed the issue for me as well. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2016 Aug 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! This is the only thing that worked for me. Jesus Christ. My modifier keys weren't working for InDesign (but they were fine in Illustrator and Photoshop). I tried resetting prefs, reinstalling, I don't have any anti-virus software, but I closed Chrome and closed InDesign, then opened InDesign, and it worked. I have no idea what it is, but definitely try closing all your other apps. What a ridiculous problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know what the problem is, Indesign doesn't know how to detect modifier keys while secure input is on on the mac. not sure if adobe wants to fix it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applications that lock out keyboard shortcuts (some password software) must be turned off when using InDesign. It's not InDesign's fault, nor is it for it to fix. Use good password software which allows you to turn off that useless feature. I have no problem in 1Password, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I believe it is Adobe's responsibility, but yes - if an app uses secure input incorrectly probably a good sign that you should look elsewhere (with the exception of Safari and Chrome of course). Check browser plugins for said security apps as well, sometimes it's just the plugins that need to be turned off, not the app itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Have had similar issues with Chrome and Safari "commandeering" the modifier keys. Usually quitting/restarting them will release the keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11/15/2015 10:56 AM CST

Tried restarting program, restarting computer, trashing preferences, etc.

Shift / constrain function still disabled.

Illustrator CC, Windows 7 professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2015 Dec 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the tool that is not constrained by holding down Shift, then under the Windows menu choose Tool Presets. In the dialogue box for Tool Presets click on the lines in the upper right corner, then select Reset Tool, or Reset All Tools. Your tool(s) will return to their default behavior of being constrained by holding down Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines