• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC2017 / MacOS Sierra - Opt+Clicking pages doesn't allow duplication in place anymore.

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be possible to hold ⌥ Option while dragging pages to duplicate them, and it was possible to do this in place by just holding Option and moving to the right of the last page selected to duplicate the selected pages right after.

This is not working now for me.

Is this a bug with MacOS and InDesign — or am I in my own private Hell here?

Screenshot 2016-11-17 at 12.28.24 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me on El Capitain and CC 2017. Wondering it it is a Sierra-specific issue. I know Sierra had a recent update that has solved some of these odd issues. (There are so many that I am still waiting.)

What about setting up a shortcut until this is resolved?

And I'd go ahead and report it: Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was working for me in El Cap as well…
I'm running the most recent mouse drivers, Public Mac OS version, and Adobe software — something is up though.

I'd guess that a very high percentage of InDesign users are Mac based, slow support for current software is just not acceptable…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that I'm just a user like you, but in monitoring several of these forums, it seems to me like it's something with Sierra. Adobe still hasn't issued an update, but some of the problems are going away after the last Sierra update. But that's just a feeling. My expertise is on using the feature set—not OS or hardware issues.

And after watching all of this online pain, I posted this article for my students:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-creative-cloud-not-working-upgrade/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just worked correctly for me in Sierra 10.2.1 with InDesign CC 2017.

Have you tried restoring your InDesign preferences?

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for commenting but that hasn't worked for me.

Are you sure it works for you?

For Example:

You're able to select say, Facing Pages 2,3,4 hold ⌥ option and drag to the right of page 4 to have them duplicate in sequence right after page 4?

Because I have replaced the Pref files (keyboard method and manual method) — and it hasn't fixed the issue.

Screenshot 2016-11-17 at 3.38.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exploring this further, I have found that I am able to duplicate in place a single selected Page — by Option Clicking and dragging to the side of the same page.

However, it previously was possible to duplicate multiple pages by selecting them and then doing likewise with the above. This has changed with either MacOS or InDesign 2017, or some combined issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do both (dup a page or spread) in 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, here are four pages in two spreads:

InDesign CC143.png

I Option-dragged them (showed icon of hand with + sign). Result:

InDesign CC136.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Option-dragging work in other contexts for you? Like Option-dragging an object to make a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course, I can option drag content to duplicate it, I can even option drag a SINGLE Page, in the Pages panel. Option Dragging multiple pages no longer allows the pages to duplicate right after themselves. I have tried this with both my Logitech mouse and my Apple Magic Mouse - same bug.

Also - a separate issue. Dragging Pages while scrolling  to reorder no longer works with my Logitech scroll-wheel mouse, (current drivers installed) - it sometimes seems to work with my Magic Mouse, but not with a Magic Trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks steve - for your examples. Does it work with a Vertical Pages Panel layout rather than Horizontal?

and does it work with "Single Pages" instead? (sorry, I realize I said "Facing Pages" Previously…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single pages worked fine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, looking at your example again, it looks like you just copied them to the end of the document, because you were already at the last page in the doc.

Lets say its a single page document with 10 pages, you try to select pages 2,3,4  and Duplicate them in space by option dragging to the right of page 4 with those three selected. Does that duplicate 2,3,4 in order right after the original page 4? —I'll bet you it Duplicates them all at the end of the document, after Page 10, Which it shoudln't do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, ran out of testing time. Have to get back to work. I'm not a full-time employee, only a volunteer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a screen recording of the issues:

I have selected pages 8, 9 and 10, held  ⌥ Option and dragged to the right of the Page Thumbnails. This doesn't allow me to duplicate these selected pages after Page 10 as it should, but only elsewhere in the document. InDesign 2015xx on El Capitan allowed selected pages to be Option dragged and copied in place… there is an issue with InDesign 2017 and or MacOS Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines