• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CC2020 crashes every time placing a pdf.-file which has more than 500KB

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing a lot of architectural vector layouting in Indesign and since February Indesign is getting really slow importing pdf. with vector content, if the pdf.-file has more than 500KB Indesign crashes.

I don't get it because it worked before with a lot bigger data,without any problems, but recently I can't even use it.

Does anybody know an answer to that problem?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

I don't have an answer, but the workround I use is to open the PDF in photoshop, convert to a jpg (highest res possible) then place that into Indesign. Indesign handles jpg better than PDF.  Indesign simply doesn't work with any PDF export from DWG containing a lot of autocad hatch patterns. Hope that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have?

Which version of your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. I’m running the latest Indesign version on my Mac late 2014 32Gb RAM but exporting pdf files is super slow. It gets to 97% fast but then gets superslow and takes at least 5 minutes before it completes and sometimes it freezes completely. That's wehn I use Force Quit.

I trued to turn off fast web view when exporting. I also installed Indesign 15.0 (2019 version) but the same thing, exporting pdfs superslow as well. My Mac is free of clutter and I don't have any problems with running apps that consume lots of CPU power like Final Cut Pro 

Also, this only started 2 days ago. Before that the same files were exporting without a problem. There were no changes to my hardware, software nor network.

OS version is Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please make sure you have updated InDesign to the latest version. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. Does it happen with a specific set of files or all?

2. Do you export them on local drive or network?

3.  Have you tried resetting the preferences? If not, please try doing that. Follow instructions on help article https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, my problem isn't the same, it's not the exporting it's the importing. Indesign takes up to 5min to import an 100kb, .pdf-file. And it's really annoying and still not working.

I'm using an HP ZBook 17 G3, Microsoft 10 Pro, Build 18362 with an intel-core i7-6820 2.70GHz.

I can't find any such importing problems in the community.

As from the pdf. I'm importing, it is exported from a CAD-Software, as an .pdf containing a lot of vectorcontent.

I really need Indesign to do my work and it isn't working for me at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, my problem isn't the same, it's not the exporting it's the importing. Indesign takes up to 5min to import an 100kb, .pdf-file. And it's really annoying and still not working.

I'm using an HP ZBook 17 G3, Microsoft 10 Pro, Build 18362 with an intel-core i7-6820 2.70GHz.

I can't find any such importing problems in the community.

As from the pdf. I'm importing, it is exported from a CAD-Software, as an .pdf containing a lot of vectorcontent.

I really need Indesign to do my work and it isn't working for me at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING

Any luck??

I'm trying to import pdf's saved from Ai and they are taking forever to IMPORT into indd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cody5C60,

we need more information to help you.

What's your version of InDesign, Illustrator and your operating system?

Do you have the same issues if you save your artwork from Illustrator to PDF/X-4 and place the PDF?

How big is the file size of your saved AI file you wanted to place?
Can you tell if it is a very complex one?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer, but the workround I use is to open the PDF in photoshop, convert to a jpg (highest res possible) then place that into Indesign. Indesign handles jpg better than PDF.  Indesign simply doesn't work with any PDF export from DWG containing a lot of autocad hatch patterns. Hope that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant, that was exactly the problem I was having, PDF's created from DWG's caused constant crashes, making ID unuseable. Your workround saved the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is a powerful professional program and it needs a powerful recent-build computer with plenty of RAM and spare hard disk capacity to run successfully. It may be better sometimes if you have issues when you upgrade to return to the earlier version that did run well for you – or upgrade your system!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines