Highlighted

Indesign chrashes when opening a file

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I cannot open my InDesign file. I could open it this morning and I made some text changes, but when I tied to open it now it chrashes everytime. It is a quite a big file, because its a map. I restarted my computer, uninstalled and installed my Indesign. Made a copy, cannot open it as well ... I found some backup files, I also cannot open them. What can I do?

Ana

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign chrashes when opening a file

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I cannot open my InDesign file. I could open it this morning and I made some text changes, but when I tied to open it now it chrashes everytime. It is a quite a big file, because its a map. I restarted my computer, uninstalled and installed my Indesign. Made a copy, cannot open it as well ... I found some backup files, I also cannot open them. What can I do?

Ana

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I opened and edited your file without any problems but I have not the fonts you use so maybe the problem comes from the fonts.  Does it happen if you change the font? 

Try also to export your file as idml and open this idml file. If it still crashes, reset your InDesign preferences: quit InDesign and relaunch the application while holding down the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys until you get a message asking for confirmation.

I also see that some name links contain diacritic characters and I wonder if it could not lead to troubles.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. 

I am using Suitcase Fusion for my fonts. I deactivated the font, I activated it again and still does not work. No I left them deactivated. I cannot change the font, because the program chrushes before I could change the fonts. 

I deleted the map with links and still does not work. I also relunched the app and it still does not work. 

Can you, please, save this document on your computer and send it to. And I will try to open your file.

Ana

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the Suitcase auto activation plugin and try again. If that fixes it contact Extensis support for help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

we tried to open file on computer where Suitcase is not installed and it happened again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be a corrupt font?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helo,

thanks for all your help. I could open the IDML file only after saving it on desktop. I could not open it from the server. I also renamed all the images so there are no diacritical marks inside. I do not know if the font was corrupted. It does not look like it. Anyway I could open the file and all is good. 

Ana

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ana,

I also experience a crash when I try to open your document. German InDesign 2020 version 15.1.1.103 on Windows 10.

The crash is looking like that:

CrashAfterOpen-1.PNG

So yes, I think something's wrong with your document.

Will try another thing, come back and report.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, so it could be a Windows problem? I am on Mac and, as I wrote, no crash…

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,

well yes, it could be a InDesign-Windows issue.

Ana saved the document with the exact same version of InDesign on Windows 10 that I am using.

Also tried to open your InDesign document you saved on Mac OS X on Windows 10.

No issue found with that. It opened very well. Fonts and linked images are missing of course.

Also gathered the names of all used fonts in the document:

Campton Book
Campton Bold
Campton Medium
Run Wild - Demo Regular
Gotham Bold
Minion Pro Regular

I marked one font where the name indicates a demo version.

Perhaps this is the culprit? A font one could download from dafont.com. There is also a commercial version available at:

https://blkbk.ink/products/run-wild-font?variant=22006644420

FWIW: Run Wild - Demo was used on a couple of text paths plus one instance in a regular text frame. Currently it is used as a TrueType ttf version in the document. An OpenType version is available from the font foundry.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0