• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign constantly crashing since 2017 update.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working on a few different files for a few different clients, ranging from multi-page booklets (5.5x8.5" and 8.5x11" page sizes) to 2 sided menus, and ever since I've updated this week, my files take 30 mins to open (if they open at all) and then freeze when navigating throughout the document. (I've made books at the same size, over 150 pages with images and vectors with no problems like this before.)

So, 2 questions; is anyone else experiencing this issue, or an issue like this? I started using the CC libraries more often a few months ago (for vector assets like logos, not photos), could these linked files be lagging me out?

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Hi Monica ,

i have Indesign 2017.1 (Build 12.1.0.56) installed.

It continues crashing when i try to click ok on a script with a GUI and with tabs.

The solution was to reinstall with deleting the user preferences while uninstalling the programm.

Without this step it didn't work, with this step the script is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pragya

Same problem. Files take a long time to open. Then when I try to do simple things - even as simple as fixing a typo - the balloon starts and have to wait 3-4 minutes to edit every word. Painful. Started with 2017 "upgrade" and has been consistent across files.

Merom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a nightmare day with any attempt to move, add or delete pages or paste content resulting in endless spinning wheel and Force Quit. By testing my document on two machines, I found out the issue lay with the document itself, not InDesign. Although it would be recovered every time, the current version clearly leaves more 'damage' in forcible quite docs. I even resorted to uninstalling all my fonts and downloading a trial of Extensis Suitcase Fusion (now uninstalled) without luck in case it was a font issue.

I found the answer. Open the damaged document, and instead of re-saving, or saving a copy in 2017 format, Save A Copy as IDML CS4 onwards compatible. This produces a small file without embedded graphics, all links intact but for example under 400KB instead of 18MB. Close everything, and open the legacy-compatible file in 2017. It will open fast, all the speed and response issues are solved. Save again as a new current format document, and it stays fast. Page removal. moving, adding, cutting and pasting large content between docs (etc) is all restored to real-time operation. The document is no longer corrupted and all I can say is that this process has 'cleaned' the work I was doing and put me back able to use 2017 without issues so far.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this resolved the problem I've been having with deleting pages, it would crash every single time since I installed 2017, seems to be working now although it still takes a while for the file to open or process some changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with trying to open the Hyperlinks window. Followed Pragya's preferences directions and sent logs. Also tried to clear preferences.

Now going to try to reinstall 2015. Instructions link from Marina's post are not working but I am finding directions here (scroll down). Download and install Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

asiramv : This is a known issue.

A fix has been provided to resolve this issue. Please try the steps mentioned at this troubleshooting page https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-hyperlinks-panel-quick-apply.html to resolve your issue.

—InDesign crashes whenever I try to hyperlink - in a specific document

Let us know if it solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This solution has worked for me – I was having hyperlink crash issues. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this. 100% fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. InDesign 2017.1 (MAC 10.12.5) iMac 27" late 2015

I am working on a 200 page text only document.  I am using Typekit fonts. Text boxes do not refresh quickly. It started crashing occasionally when I scroll.

Today, it crashed when I try to make a PDF. I cannot package it. It is crashing when I open it. I tried back versions of the file.

I deleted my preferences. HELP! This job is due and I can't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with ID. I have both the 2015 and 2017 versions installed. 2015 crashes regularly and is slow all the time, but I can at least get some work done in it. 2017 usually crashes on startup or shortly after I start working on a file.

I'm using a mix of TypeKit fonts and my own fonts.

ID also will tell me that an installed font is missing--I can get around that by placing the font in ID's Fonts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try installing ID 2015?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue Friday was a Font conflict. I think InDesign 2017 crashes more than other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having lots of crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since yesterday: with any attempt to move, add or delete pages or paste content resulting in endless spinning wheel and Force Quit.

No work can be done. This is really getting under my skin now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Merom,

Have you tried un-checking the following preference -> Advance Type -> Type Contextual controls ?

This workaround is resolving the issue for a lot of people. Please give it a try.

Regards

Pragya Kandari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pragya - This did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues as other here (especially lags when doing simple type edits), but particularly when trying to open the Tabs window. InDesign 2017 crashes every time I try to open tabs, including when I have type selected, when I don't, when I use the mouse and drop down menu and when I use the shortcut command. I have not reset preferences, but I did try the Advance Type>Type Contextual controls fix you mentioned. Is it necessary to restart InDesign and/or the computer after unchecking those two boxes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting InDesign would be a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences seemed to do the trick.

Excellent! It's a good trick to keep in your back pocket when things start acting funky, and there's a similar function in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, if you use all three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I've also unchecked the stuff under Advanced Text, I've reseted preferences, but still when copying text with right indent tab, InDesign freezes.

Pragya, I have sent you email with crash report. Please check and let me know if there's something I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem:

Every time I change the levels in .psd files Indesign 2017 crashes when updating the placed image automatically.

This is the workflow: placed .psd in Indesign -> edit original -> change levels in Photoshop -> go back to Indesign -> crash

System: mac so Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the preferences and updating PS and ID to the latest versions seems to solve the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did uncheck the advanced text options, but I am still having repeated crashes during normal editing.  May I send you a copy  of the crash report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even launch InDesign 2017. It stops responding within around 5 seconds, every time. The dump file is a fraction under 1Gb so... I can't upload that. I tried starting it while holding SHIFT + CTRL + ALT to reset the preferences but that made no difference. This is seriously frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the time my InDesign 2017 crashes on startup. If I'm lucky enough to get it to open then I can almost guarantee it'll crash when I try and open a file. Have reset preferences and reinstalled to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines