• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign crash during assembly -->> 5000 links to reedit --> where are store those LINKS Informatio

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I have a crash doing an assembly of a big BOOK.

Indesign crashes during the process, and now, all the links to the pictures are changed with the assembly path, even on my original files !!!

I can't understand...

I try to restore backups from yesterday : dos'nt change anything.

I try to reopen he restored original files on other comptuter : dosn't change anything

I try to open the restored files on another computer with other adobe account : dosn't change anything

I try to restore preference : dosent change anything

I try to delete all cache files since today : dosn't change anything

So, where are stored those LINKS Informations ?

I can't belive that a asembly change the original files (and it dosn't do, as I see the restored file)

If someone have an idea, where to look, or how to retrurn to my original links ?

Thanks and Best regards,

Frederic

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This silence is more than frightened....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you find where your links are stored? 

If yes then do relink

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/graphics-links.ug.html

• To restore a missing link, select any link marked with the missing link icon 

in the Links panel, and click the Relink button 

• In the dialog box that appears, select Search For Missing Links In This Folder to relink any missing file that appears in the specified folder. Locate and double-click a file.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ I do recomend to do indd-idml-indd conversion for your bugged file.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks George,

That's not what I find : I'm looking for the information of the path of the linked files...

It should be a database or something like that...

I don't know if it's understood in my demand.

for exemple, when you import a file : it creates a link, with a path to a folder.

--> When ou do an assembly of your files, this path change to the destination you chose to assemble your project.

What I'm looking for is where this path information is written ?

- It's not in the file itself, 'cause I restore all of the files to a -1 day backup, and the link keep broken

- It's not in the creative cloud, 'caus I deconnect it, and the links keeps broken

- It's not in the preference, or in the cache files of indesign : I'v restored and delete cach file with no effect on my links

- It's not in the BOOK file, 'cause I'v restored it

- It's not somewhere on the computer, 'cause I try to reopen those files with 3 other computer and 2 other adobe account...

- It's not in indesign itself, 'cause I try to reimport a copy of the same file, with the good link in the book and try to use the find link tool... nothing...

So where are those pathes information saved ???... Only a Adobe technician can say it... and... How to contact a developper by adobe ?....

The IDML solution can't work for me, 'cause the layout have a problem when file is transformed into IDML file...

It's another post I do on this ASC system... and never get any answer for this bug anymore...

It's more than frustrating having problem without solution, and asking a comunity to solve others problem is just a big joke... Adobe takes his client as dummy creators, my opinion since more than 20 years I work with adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you don't know where these placed files are stored? Did you create the book and place the files yourself? Or has someone else provided the file and it "crashed" once you opened it?

Are you sure that InDesign crashed? Or was it the link to the remote location where all these things are stored? Folks here are willing to help, but it sounds like there's a lot more involved with your situation than InDesign just crashed and blew away your links. Jus' sayin'.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

I don't think the problem is complexe.

My links are on diffrent places on my servers, I allready do assembly 2 or 3 times without problem. I have the hole control of what I do on this book.

The problem is : Indesign started to assemble files and than crashes.

When I restore and reopen the file, even then after restoration, the path of the assembly folder where kept in all files...

That why I search where this information path is stored on indesign.

Logicaly, the links path should be store in the INDD file... but when I've restor all the INDD files and the BOOK file (containing all the INND file used for my book, Indesign continue to sy that I have lost the main of my links, and of course, 'cause they are now linked to the path folder of the assembly.

I think I don't explain correctly the case...

So, I star to do the collect for printing in the BOOK window Menu > Then Indesign crashes > then Indesign kept the links to the collected (assembly) folder, Even I've restore all those files.

Can't say anything more. It's hard to work like that... And even if backups doesn't solve my problem, I don't know what to do ?? And what to do tright now ! Do I make a new collection, what will happend with those files now : on more crashe ??? It's a job that take 6 month, with 53 files in the book and more than 5000 links... I can't take risks... here it takes more than 7 hour to relink all...

It's because I want to know where those path information are writtent. I must have the possibility to do a backup of those path informations if they are not stored in the files... where are they ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other simple terms, I want to know the process of 'collecting for print'' from the book windows : what do indesign and how does it deal with the path of the links. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je réponds en français.

Si je comprends bien, InDesign a planté au moment de l'assemblage et quand tu as rouvert ton fichier original, les liens ne pointaient plus vers les dossiers originaux, mais vers le dossier d'assemblage ? C'est ça ? Et tu souhaites savoir où les infos de liens sont écrites pour pouvoir rétablir les liens vers les dossiers d'origine ? Je ne crois pas qu'on puisse le savoir. Mis à part trouver la dernière version dans tes sauvegardes (j'imagine que tu en fais, vu l'importance du projet), je ne vois pas d'autre solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour JM,

C'est exactement ça, après le crash en cours d'assemblage, les fichiers d'origine pointaient vers le dossier d'assemblage.

J'ai donc restauré les fichiers du livre y compris le livre lui-même à J-1, mais les fichiers ont continué à pointer vers le dossier d'assemblage.

C'est là que je me dis qu'il y a un stress, parceque, à quoi sert d'avoir un backup de l'ensemble du projet et comment être certain que ça ne va pas recrasher...

Du coup, oui, j'ai tout testé pour trouver où sont écrites ces infos de dossier changeant.

Et en fait, les fichiers d'origine n'avaient même pas changé après le crash, juste le fichier du livre, par contre, en le restaurant à J-1, ça n'a rien changé, d'où mon questionnement : où est-ce enregistré, ou autrement dit, comment faire pour avoir un backup, ou une sauvegarde en cas de crash...

7H de perdue à tout relinker, ça m'a mis mal, surtout qu'on est au passage à l'impression... une journée de perdu à cause de ce bête crash...

MAis ce qui me fait flipper, c'est pour la suite... si ça recrash, qu'est-ce que je dois sauvegarder pour pouvoir revenir aux liens d'origine ? Mystère jusque là. D'où mon questionnement : comment contacter un développeur adobe, ou trouve quel est le process pour savoir où placer le backup, en tous cas, cette situation n'est pas normale du tout ! Si un backup est inutile... C'est pas Pro. (On bosse avec un livre de +500 page x un deuxième langue... 5000 liens par livre de 500 pages... Heureusement ça a crashé +/- au début de l'assemblage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je crois me souvenir que tu fais du gros catalogue, c'est ça ? Peut-être, comme le suggère Randy, qu'il faudrait que tu travailles sur des fichiers plus légers ? Même s'il y en a plus ? En ce qui me concerne, je n'ai pas beaucoup d'expérience sur ce type de fichier, je n'ai donc jamais été confronté à ce type de problème.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui, c'est bien ça, on est sur 2 catalogue de 500 pages.

Ici, j'ai des fichiers qui ne dépassent pas 80Mo, et rarement plus d'une cinquantaine de pages pour justement alléger un max.

mais franchement, je reste vraiment sur ma faim avec indesign...

Les références croisées, c'est une foire incroyable : j'actualise tout, puis qqs jours après, il y a certaines références qui ne sont plus à jour,

C'est lent, ça lag, alors que j'ai remonté un ordinateur qui tient la route et un réseau en 10Gb... ndesign au plus fort flash en utilisant 1 seul coeur de processeur.... des transferts de fichiers de entre 1/4 et 1/2 Gb

je suis vraiment dubitatif par rapport au fait que dès qu'on a de plus gros imprimés, il faut faire super gaffe à ne pas trop malmener Indesign.

Pourtant, je suis de la vieille école, mes fichiers images sont bien fait, pas compressés, en tif : avec le moins d'artifice possible, les EPS aussi, très très simples, mes mise en pages aussi, pas ou presque  de transparence, pas ou presque d'effet style ombre portée...

Mais malgré toute ces précaustions qui sont presque devenus une habitude, le programme est lent...

Pour le moment je bosse avec 3 odis de front et ma compagne avec 2 ordis aussi... afin de, quand on doit flasher des éléments, ne pas devoir attendre qu'indeisign s'y mette.

Merci en tous cas pour ton aide et ta réflexion sur le sujet, ça m'a permis de réfléchir à la suite des opérations.
Si je peux t'aider à l'occasion, ce sera avec plaisir 😉

Bonne soirée,

Frederic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mes fichiers images sont bien fait, pas compressés, en tif : avec le moins d'artifice possible, les EPS aussi

Oublie les tiff et les eps !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> So, I star to do the collect for printing in the BOOK window Menu 

Did you try to do package not for the whole book? Open some one indd from book and do package, than 2nd, than 3rd, etc. 

And in this moment needs to have working all your network sources where your links may be stored. 

Adobe technicians now in the chat. Try here - https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks George, No, I don't touch the project anymore today, my links are all restorerd... I'll try to pakage it after the hole project will be printed (after that I have to do an interactive PDF).

I dose'nt see this chat option. I'll contact adobe tomorrow to explain the problem and we will see, if I have explainations, I come back to you.

Regards,

Frederic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're working with a massive project. I don't know how many pages you have, but if you have no less than 5,000 links, I suspect you've got a lot of 'em.

Perhaps it's worth it to see if you can build from subsets of the original book. Maybe see if you can pick a small section/chapter/category with, say 50 links, and see if that works.

1. Open the offending file. Immediately save it as 50 link test.indd to protect the original file.
  2. Delete all the extraneous pages from the new copied 50 link test.indd file.
  3. Use the File>Save As... menu command to save a new copy overwriting the one you originally copied a bit before. That way we're absolutely sure that there are no artifacts from the original, big book file.
  4. Re-link placed graphics and try and package that.

If that works, there's either a) a problem elsewhere in the big book file or b) an overdose of information working with your original, massive file.

• The next thing I'd do is go back to the original file and use the File>Save As... menu command to again save a copy of the original big book file. See if that fixes the problem. It probably won't, but it's easy to do and you may get lucky.
  • If that didn't magically work — hey, it was worth a shot — start breaking the big book file into smaller-bite-sized sections, re-linking and packaging them.

If the problem was b) you'll hopefully sidestep the big issue with smaller categories re-compiled through InDesign's Book functions. If it's a) this will help you isolate the underlying issue(s) and fix them so you can get your big book out the door.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy, yes it's a big project, separated in 53 INDD files for 500 pages and 5000 links.

What you explain are things I try, and in fact, the indd files doesn't change during the pakaging of the book...

I try to resave, to copy, to change, to add files with correct links to the book... @ last, I relink all : during 7hour 😉 Cool, isn't it.

I don't have any indd file more than 80Mo to keep them 'light'...

But I think I will try to find a way of creating a 'mirror' of this book... I don't know how,  or doing package step by step, file, by file, but I think it will not be the solution...

MMM, maybe doing a package of the second langage and copying my first language anr relinking all to the main folder...

It could be a solution !

Thanks for your help Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm rooting for you.

So smaller, individual documents won't package either? Any of them? And you can find where they are, but InDesign is blowing the links every time you try to package the individual document files? You've got me stumped on this one.

All I can do is wish you good luck. Hopefully someone else here can help you past your issues.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Again Randy,

I just wait to try again the packagings. I just relink all, we first print the job, and after, I can do all the test.

Indesign never do this problem with relinking the original files, that just with the crash that do this ...

I keep you adviced if I have solution and explainations from Adobe, I'll try the chat and try to have a contact with a technician or developper.

Right now ! I keep my file without pakaging it !! 🙂 🙂

Thaks again for your good vibes and idea 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines