• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashed while saving the file to External drive.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to recover a "recent" project on InDesign? i saved my final project to my computers drive however was not able to save it to an external drive before my computer crashed. Is there a way the adobe support/ customer service can send me the last files i had?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. When you save and open files across a network or from removable media, many variables affect application performance. We have a very limted support for external devices and virtual enviornments. 

To try and prevent this from happening in the future, here are some tips that should help:-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The file exists on your computer, not with Adobe. You state that you did save it to your computer: Do you remember where? What folder did you save it to? Also, when you re-open InDesign after the crash, did you click on File > Open Recent to see if it is listed there?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a CC subscription, and your project was saved in the Creative Cloud Files folder that is installed by default in your computer’s user folder, then there would be a copy saved to the Adobe cloud server. Files saved into your local Creative Cloud Files folder get sync’d to the cloud server after any modification when you have an active internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. When you save and open files across a network or from removable media, many variables affect application performance. We have a very limted support for external devices and virtual enviornments. 

To try and prevent this from happening in the future, here are some tips that should help:-

• It's best to save files locally to your computer.
  • Turn on the file recovery options from preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-document-recovery.html). 
  • Keep an IDML file saved as a backup (these can be opened in previous versions, which may help with file recovery).
  • Always save to multiple locations (you may use Creative Cloud storage) if possible.
  • Avoid saving only on external hard drives, networks or shared locations, Google Drive/Dropbox, etc. 

Apologies again, I know how frustrating this can be. Please reach out to us here if you have any other trouble with InDesign. We'd love to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines