InDesign crashes when generating ToC

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm preparing a catalogue based on a xml file imported  into a template with tagged objects.

Now I would like to generate a ToC. I apllied the section headers with a paragraph style.

When generating the ToC InDesign doesn't give aan error, but crashes.

Using 16.1 MacOS

Could anyone give me hist how to trace down the problem?

Is a ToC possible at all in a tagged document? To test I untaged all objects but problem stays.

Beacuse its a catalogue I used tables to  layout every product.

thanks

h

h

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a ToC possible in a tagged document? Yes, of course. Tagging is all-important within InDesign.

But is your crashing really even related to this moment? Maybe not.

So, have you tried:

1. Resetting InDesign preferences and restarting and trying again?

2. Have you experimenting with the possibility of a partially-corrupt file? 

The first effort is to export your INDD to IDML and then re-open the IDML to reconstitute an INDD clean file.

If you are in ID 2021, it is actually supposed to sniff the file as you open it. If it detects a sour odor, supposedly it whisks it off to Adobe land where it gets a complete manicure/pedicure/hairstyling, and then is sent back all clean and healthy again.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Resetting InDesign preferences and restarting and trying again?

affirmative.

same result

2. Have you experimenting with the possibility of a partially-corrupt file? 

The first effort is to export your INDD to IDML and then re-open the IDML to reconstitute an INDD clean file.

yes, that's the 1st thing I did. Nevertheless ID crashes without error notification or beach ball.

I just goes..

It is ID 2021 in which I'm working

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed by now. If not, please try the suggestions shared on this page (  https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/advanced-troubleshooting-for-launch-issues/td-p/11394034?pag...  ) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines