Highlighted

InDesign crashes when importing .doc or .docx

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

since Adobe CC InDesign crashes when I try to import a .doc or .docx file. I tested it with a document containing only the word "Text", no special characters used.
Tested in my organization on several computers (all Windows, 7,8.1 and 10 - everywhere the same problem.
I don't use it very often and hoped in future versions this problem would be solved, but ... nope.
My workaround is to save the Word file as .rtf and then place it in the document, this works. But now I need to place a complex document, so the workaround is not enough for me.

Anyone else here with that problem or a solution? The Adobe Support couldn't help me out.

Thank you for your help

After a restart I tried it again with my test.docx file (not from a server, only local) and it worked.
I think the problem is my Office program: I usually use SoftMaker Office 2016 and I got a lot of .doc files created with it. When I place these files, InDesign crashes. I saved these files again in SoftMaker Office als docx, and that worked. When I place .docx files created with an older version of SoftMaker Office, InDesign crashes too.
Tried it with LibreOffice, too: InDesign crashes when placing .doc files, .docx works.

I think I got the solution, thanks all for your help!

Best regards,

Lars

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign crashes when importing .doc or .docx

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

since Adobe CC InDesign crashes when I try to import a .doc or .docx file. I tested it with a document containing only the word "Text", no special characters used.
Tested in my organization on several computers (all Windows, 7,8.1 and 10 - everywhere the same problem.
I don't use it very often and hoped in future versions this problem would be solved, but ... nope.
My workaround is to save the Word file as .rtf and then place it in the document, this works. But now I need to place a complex document, so the workaround is not enough for me.

Anyone else here with that problem or a solution? The Adobe Support couldn't help me out.

Thank you for your help

After a restart I tried it again with my test.docx file (not from a server, only local) and it worked.
I think the problem is my Office program: I usually use SoftMaker Office 2016 and I got a lot of .doc files created with it. When I place these files, InDesign crashes. I saved these files again in SoftMaker Office als docx, and that worked. When I place .docx files created with an older version of SoftMaker Office, InDesign crashes too.
Tried it with LibreOffice, too: InDesign crashes when placing .doc files, .docx works.

I think I got the solution, thanks all for your help!

Best regards,

Lars

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version of InDesign?

I've not heard of this problem before. Can you provide a test file we can download for a site like Dropbox?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the version of InDesign and Word you are using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with InDesign CC, CC2015, CC2017 (every Version), MS Office 2010

Link to the test file: goo.gl/kF1y9S

It's a document only with the word "Text" in Arial ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to place the file just fine in InDesign CC 2017. No crashing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm ... okay, thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that doesn't help you. The question is why 3 different versions of InDesign are crashing on File > Place. I'm hoping someone else will have some ideas for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines