Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes whenever I try to hyperlink - in a specific document

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

InDesign CC 2017 keeps crashing on me whenever I try to create a new hyperlink to anything. I already have about 20 hyperlinks made, and am still able to make them in other documents. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Maggie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Hi Brad,

A fix has been provided to resolve this issue.

Please try the steps mentioned at this troubleshooting page https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-hyperlinks-panel-quick-apply.html to resolve your issue, if still facing.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it only happens in this document, save the file as IDML and reopen.

If it happens in every document you test, try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried saving it as an IDML, and also back to an INDD from that document - both still crashed.

I also reinstalled indesign and reset preferences- same issue.

It's only this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these hyperlinks to text? Or to an object? Or both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maggie,

I am Sushil from InDesign team. Can you provide following information about the issue so that we can reproduce the issue at our end.

1. Are you facing the issue with specific document? Please provide the document in which you are facing the issue.

2. What is the configuration of your system?

3. Were you facing the same issue in older version of InDesign? or is it a recent issue in InDesign CC 2017?

Thanks,

Sushil Kumar Srivastava

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sushil,

I'm having the same problem with an InDesign 2015.4 document when I open in 2017, although I was able to open another InDesign 2015.4 document the other day and update the Hyperlinks.

I deleted my preferences, saved as an IDML. If I create a new document, then open the Hyperlinks panel I have no issues.

Running on macOS Sierra

I can send you the document. Just need your email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got the same problem.

Running: OSX Sierra, Indesign 2017

This happens in every document. When I try to change certain hyperlinks the program crashes. Not always but 3 out of 5 times.

Sometimes when I copy an URL into the hyperlink field, sometimes when I change URLs – always when I submit the change by pressing the return key …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to install InDesign CC (2015) in order to update my Hyperlinks. Hope there is a better solution going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Can you provide the video of your screen so that we can find out root cause of the issue.

You can share the video at ssrivast@adobe.com

Thanks,

Sushil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

You can provide the document to ssrivast@adobe.com

Thanks,

Sushil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 

I am having the same issue, I was able to add hyperlinks in a few places in the document but now everytime I try again to add more hyperlinks, the program shuts.

I am just on a trial program now, but it is newly installed on a Mac using Catalina and the InDesign is 15.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with both text and image hyperlinks. When I try to edit or add hyperlinks it crashes. Tried removing preferences without success. Have uninstalled 2017 and gone back to 2015 until this is resolved.

iMac, Yosemite 10.10.5, InDesign CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully these steps would help?

1. Open the InDesign CC 2017 file;

2. Package the InDesign CC 2017 file;

3. Open the IDML file within the package in InDesign CC 2015;

4. Open the hyperlink palette;

5. Delete any broken hyperlinks (this is where the error lies – broken hyperlinks which where used in previous InDesign CC 2015 files);

6. Save the file as an InDesign CC 2015 file;

7. Open the InDesign CC 2015 file in InDesign CC 2017;

8. Open the hyperlinks panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

A fix has been provided to resolve this issue.

Please try the steps mentioned at this troubleshooting page https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-hyperlinks-panel-quick-apply.html to resolve your issue, if still facing.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Monica

Thank you. Resolved with this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2016 Dec 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a PC fix? Having same issue on my PC. Link for fix is for MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also come across the same issue using a PC. Is a fix available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please provide the document on which you are facing the crash on your PC.

You can share the doc at ssrivast@adobe.com

Thanks,

Sushil Kumar Srivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue!  InDesign crashes everytime I try to create hyperlinks on a PC. Is there a fix for the PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dawn,

In order to fix the issue, first I need to find out the root cause of the issue. Please share the detail of the issue at ssrivast@adobe.com.

Thanks and Regards,

Sushil Kumar Srivastava

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a created a simple document, but when trying to hyperlink, InDesign crashes. I have attached the file that this is doing this on. I have not attached the images as the files is too large.

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dawn,

Where did you attach the file? I am not able to see the files you attached. Please share the files at ssrivast@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards,

Sushil Kumar Srivastava

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sushil,

I am facing a similar issue on Windows with Indesign CC. I tried to delete a hyperlink in an Indesign File. The app crashed, and now it crashes each time I try to open my file. What can I do? Can I send you the file?

Thank you very much,

Harold from France

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reynes,

Please share your files at ssrivast@adobe.com along with the steps to reproduce the crash.

Regards,

Sushil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Every time I try to edit hyperlinks InDesign crashes.  The plugin seemed to work for Mac users.  Is there not a similar plugin for those of us working on PCs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines