• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing/lagging while running with Time Machine

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac (latest OS), in the last three versions of Indesign, we continue to experience constant crashing (or beachballing at any random moment making progress exceptionally slow) when apple Time Machine runs. Obviously we solve this by turning time machine off, but this means that its a fight for when to back up the mac and when to work in indesign. Is there a fix, a work around which allows Time Machine to run at the same time? 

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need to provide some system information—system version number, what kind of Mac, system memory, other applications running, etc. It sound like a computer with limited RAM. I don't use Time Machine (I use Carbon Copy Cloner), but with 16 Gb of RAM, I never have a problem running a backup while I have InDesign open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, Thanks for helping... One computer is a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with 16gb of RAM, (only safari, mail and font explorer x pro 7) The second is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 with 32gb RAM and the Third is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 with 32gb RAM all running MacOS Mojave. (both the last two are running the same apps when indesign is open). They all do the same thing, periodic (upon non specific mouse moves) a spinning beach ball, but when Time Machine is turned off the beachballing stops.. Its been doing this since upgrading to creative cloud from creative suite... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you might direct this at the Apple forums. It sounds like something related to Time Machine, not to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect its somewhere twixt the two, as time machine doesnt cause any other indesign software to beachball, only indesign. So hopefully there is an answer within the Indesign world. As the apple world directed me to the Indesign forum.. As its so specifically Indesign related. Hope someone can help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a persistent problem for me for years. Beachballing everytime I open InDesign when Time Machine is running. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, im still waiting for a possible solution, its clearly a clash in indesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual behavior of the app. Would you mind sharing the version of InDesign and macOS?
Also, at what interval Time Machine creates backup?

I'd also request creating a new user account on your mac(https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mtusr001/mac) and try running InDesign there to see if you still have the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using macOS 10.15.4 and InDesign 15.0.2

Backups set to hourly

Problem persists across all user accounts… already tried that.

How software costing this much can be allowed to have a persistent problem like this unresolved is a disgrace.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into it, it hasnt been unusual on my systems...Multiple users, on multiple computers. All have the issue... One computer is a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 with 16gb of RAM (high sierra) , The second is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018 with 32gb RAM and the Third is a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2019 with 32gb RAM both running MacOS Mojave. (all with 15.0.2 indesign) (both the last two are running the same apps when indesign is open). They all do the same thing, periodic (upon non specific mouse moves) a spinning beach ball, but when Time Machine is turned off the beachballing stops..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have an answer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this? I am also experiencing this (beachballing, not crashing as far as I remember) on a regular basis and it makes working with InDesign almost impossible when Time Machine is running. I am also noticing that no other (Adobe or otherwise) programs are showing this behavior. I have been waiting for every (app or OS) update to fix this but so far no improvement.

Indesign 15.0.3

OS X 10.15.5

Mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina

Time Machine set to hourly backups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me. InDesign 15.1.2, MacBook Pro 15'' 2016 w/ macOS 10.15.7.

Disabling Time Machine completely solves the issue, but is of course no real possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, anyone from Adobe? This has been a persistent problem with InDesign for a long time now. No other applications are showing a similar behavior. So I doubt the problem lies with Time Machine. 

Different OS Version, different MacBook, different InDesign Version, same Problem. 

I have to submit a design for a client today and I can now decide if I want system backups or if I want to use InDesign. We shouldn't have to decide between the two should we?

MacBook Pro 16" 2019

2,3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

MacOS 10.15.6

InDesign 15.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not interested. Typical complacency from a large orgaisation. We're looking for alternatives. Very buggy and expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here at work.

iMac 27" 2017

4,2 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

InDesign 15.1.3 and InDesign 16.0

100 GB free storage on the volume

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar problems with InDesign lagging, but thought maybe it had to do with the outdated Word:2011, which also lag terribly at those occations (could take minutes just to enter a filename och hit OK). However, I didn't check what Time Machine was doing, so I'll have to do that next time it occurs.

OS 10.14.6

ID 15.0.2

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 tum, mitten 2015)

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Now I happened to find the office 2019 download version, and installed it. Started work with indesign and a mark-up pdf open in Acrobat DC. Beachballing started. Checked and yes: Time Machine was preparing to backup. Cancelled it. Beachballing continues. For each time I switch between Acrobat DC and Indesign, the beachball is back (in indesign). Somehow, I connect it with recycling old document, although I always export it to idml-format before reusing it. I often do that, and some dokuments origin years ago. Is that a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact problem, every time when Time-machine starts to prepare its back-up sequence InDesign lags (spinning beachball).

iMac Pro running OSX Big Sur 11.2

InDesign CC 2021 16.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here since more tha a year. The error occurred first on my Mac mini 2018 running on OSX 10.13 and also later on my Mac Book Pro running 10.14. Two different systems on different hardware with always freshly installed versions of InDesign an the current versions of the OS.

Reading all the comments in this thread it seems that Adobe and Apple do not have a clue why this happens to some people and also I do not get rid of the idea that Adobe does not really care to solve this problem or even trying to find the error to work on a bug-fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, I'm experiencing the same issue. InDesign lags/stalls about 10-15 seconds when Time Machine is running. When I turn off Time Machine,  InDesign works fine. Very annoying. When will there be a fix? Seems like I've had this problem for almost a year now. Thank you.

macOS Big Sur v11.5.2

iMac Pro 2017

2.3 GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W

InDesign v16.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem forever. I have a MacBook Pro 16" 2019; 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4; OS Catalina 10.15.7

Would love a fix for this since it makes it impossible to work in InDesign when Time Machine is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had the same problem for years. And it only affects InDesign, not any other Adobe or third-party programs. Adobe should really remedy this, it is hardly possible to work with InDesign while Timemachine makes a backup. Embarrassing for a global company to want to blame Timemachine or Apple for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue right in the middle of a large job for my biggest client! Not professional! I am trying to create high res pdfs from a 132 page (travel - image led) brochure in InDesign. InDesign takes an extremely long time to create the pdf, often crashing out half way through. I haven't correlated this with TimeMachine working although it is running hourly back ups so will monitor this.

Also when working in InDesign, the screen goes red or blue or green at any random moment, but then clears when I resite the pages or change the view to be whole page or move off the screen to another section of the work.

My mac is retina 5K 27-inch 2019.

3.6GHz \intel Core i5

16 GB memory 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580x 8 GB

There should be no issue with the machine's ability.

Need to have this remeied if we're paying a monthly fee for the software!! This is not good for Creative Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening here in the year 2021. 

Monterey Beta 9. iD v16.4. Happened with whatever version I was running in Big Sur. And this after a few complete OS replacements (moved recently to an M1 Mac mini).

Also will crash silently when the mini sleeps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines