• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign crashing when I try to add, delete, or move a page

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - Currently working with a 58 page document, and all of the sudden I'm not longer able to add, delete, or move pages. It instantly crashes. I've tried opening a copy - saving with a new name. I've restarted entire computer, and program, multiple times. Not sure how to fix???

MacOS Catalina - v 10.15.2

Adobe Indesign - 15.0.1

There is a deadline on this project so I would appreciate any help!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Hi enicholsdesign:

Is it just one file or the program causing the crashes?

If it is just that one file—do you have a back-up that you can restore? Or see Identify and troubleshoot file issueshttps://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

If it is all files—see Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Fileshttps://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi enicholsdesign:

Is it just one file or the program causing the crashes?

If it is just that one file—do you have a back-up that you can restore? Or see Identify and troubleshoot file issueshttps://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

If it is all files—see Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Fileshttps://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving as IDML and then opening the resulting IDML file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! That solved the issue, I wasn't aware of that trick. So very thankful for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it a NEW/Fresh file to do the 58 pages or an old one? Try saving to IDML as the others said.

Sometimes Images/Fonts use problems – what was the step BEFORE the trouble started?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So very thankful for the help - saving as IDML worked. Very much appreciate the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Glad you are back on track. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, but can this be actually fixed by Adobe? That’s just crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know the history of the file for this particular question, but this often happens with older files that get used and re-used over and over. They can get corrupted by continually resaving, adding and deleting content, using on different computers on different operating systems and software versions and different workflow environments, maybe even a power outage, system crash or server crash. Junk builds up. I can only speak from my own experience, but using a template whenever I start a project rather than re-using files has prevented this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this problem, too.  And I've been transferring this document between my office PC and Mac Mini at home.  I rebuilt the document on my office PC on my last workday, but as soon as I placed new pages created with my more updated version of InDesign from home, I had the problem of the whole thing freezing when I tried to delete a couple blank pages.  I tried saving as an IDML file, and updated my office PC's version of InDesign.  EUREKA!  

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines