• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing while exporting to Print PDF

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first it was only when I tried exporting my Indesign file to PDF (print). Whenever I tried that, Indesign crashed. So I couldn't export my file. Then it start happening more and Indesign crashed when I tried to delete spreads and something just random. Then I updated indesign (to CC 2018, because I was using 2015), but now it's even worse. I can barely open Indesign, because it just keeps shutting down. It's really frustrating because I have a deadline and I can't do anything. We even tried putting the Indesign file on a USB stick, opened it on a completely different mac (here at school) and the same happened! So I think the file is corrupt. There was work put in this document so it would suck if it's useless now I hope anyone can help! Is there a way for the file to be fixed? Of is it something else? Can a corrupted file crash indesign as a whole? Thanks in advance!!

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested any other file to see if the same thing happens? Hopefully, you have an earlier version of the file that you can go back to. If that is the case try opening it in your current version of InDesign and then exporting it as an IDML file. Then open that file in InDesign and continue working on it. The purpose of that is that sometimes exporting first as an IDML can clear up some inherent corruption that could cause problems as you progress with the new file.

As for the file that is giving you trouble you could try making an IDML out of that one as well although it may already be too far gone. There are file recovery services available on the internet but they will charge you. You can also check out Troubleshoot damaged InDesign documents for other recommendations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue almost continuously. I have trashed preferences, cleaned font caches, reinstalled the apps, updated my OS, ditched any and all problematic fonts and duplicates, sat with Adobe tech help for hours... I am about ready to give up on InDesign (and Acrobat by extension) entirely. I get brief respites wherein I can work –after performing all of the recommended tasks, so no reason why it suddenly works again.

I am now losing work because I cannot fulfill promises to clients reliably. I am nearly ready to try Quark again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on 10.14.4, Mojave

I keep all applications with CC updated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working over a network or is it a personal computer? If on a network, check with your network administrator as to if your network has been updated to be compatible with your version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on my own computer, no network involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear that InDesign is crashing while exporting Print PDF. Is it happening with a particular file or multiple files?

If it happening with a particular file, will it be possible for you to share the file? If yes, you can email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip the file and upload to the Creative Cloud account and send us the document link.

I must also inform that file recovery can't be guaranteed with a 100% success. We'll surely try our best.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st. Do indd-idml-indd coversion

2nd. Try half-blade method - Re: Closure of Indesign when I try to export a file

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I can't export to PDF, then tried to export to IDML and InDesign crushed again.

I bought a brand new imac, licensed softwares that I just installed today, and this is more than frustrating. I am a week late of my deadline because of this issue, and now I am having the same problem. Please if someone knows what to do, let me know. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ignacia5E6D,

Sorry for the delay in response. If you're still experiencing the issue with ID 18 version. InDesign might fail to export PDF due to the Compatibility option, "Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4). The workaround for this is to change the Compatibility to "Acrobat 4 ( PDF 1.3).

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No the issue with opening the PDF file.

To work around it, do not tick view PDF after exporting and then open the PDF manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines