• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing while opening the files.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive a crash report when trying to open an indesign file.

I have unninstalled, reinstalled, tried older versions but still crashes.

This seems to have happened randomly as nothing has changed on my laptop.

What is the solution? Its been over a week sending crash reports to Adobe wih no response and I have work to do.

Dwayne

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dwayne,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • Do you have any default printer connected to your device? If not, please set Adobe PDF as default printer and then try again.
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

You may also try resetting InDesign preferences. Preference settings are saved each time you quit the application. Crashing and unexpected behavior in application can be caused due to corrupt/ damaged preferences. Please follow these steps and let us know how it goes:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further query.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm hoping that the issue is resolved for you. 

If the above-mentioned solution or suggestion helped, please mark it correct.

If not, do let us know so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered your questions below in Bold

• OS and version of InDesign  (Windows 10 and Indesign 15.11)
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. (No, all indesign documents)
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? (Local Drive)
  • Do you have any default printer connected to your device? If not, please set Adobe PDF as default printer and then try again. (No printer)
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. (Nothing changed. The issue started and then I updated windows and also updated to thelatest version of indesign but the issue was still there)

I can open indesign by running as administrator or opening it from Creative Cloud app. I can then drag the file into Indesign or open a file from within InDesign.

My only issue now is opening the file directly from Windows file explorer and double clicking it. This is when I get a crash report error.

regards

Dwayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delayed response. Try to login to Hidden Admin account (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbMs3w-Z3s&t=53s). Check how the application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors:  

• Open the File Explorer window. Click the View tab, and then select Hidden items. 
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe InDesign 
  • In File Explorer, right-click the folder InDesign and choose Properties. 
  • Click the Security tab, and then click Edit to set permissions. 
  • In the Permissions dialog, select your user name. In the Permissions area, deselect the Deny check box. 
  • Click OK twice. 
  • Then go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe InDesign 
  • Perform the same procedure again. 
  • Launch Adobe InDesign.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines