New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Facts:

InDesign CS5, v7.0.4

OS X 10.7.4

No third-party font-management application running.

Macbook Pro (June, 2012)

InDesign crashes in these two instances:

1. Trying to delete a page that has content. Right as the warning box comes up, it shows up without content (just the "Warning" title) and crashes.

2. When packaging a file, as it's about to warn you about the perils of archiving fonts it does the same thing as above, and crashes.

Tried the alt-opt-cmd-shift trick to reboot preferences and nothing.

Tried deleting the two preference files directly so that they would rebuild and nothing.

Interestingly, I have another computer running OS 10.7.3 (as opposed to 10.7.4 on the crashy one) and the same InDesign CS5 7.0.4 and that one works perfectly.

Ideas? Leads?

Thanks

Armin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Our engineers have provided a workaround that, while potentially complex for some, should allow for full functionality.

Essentially we're asking those affected by this issue to place three icon files within the InDesign application file itself to bypass the check for the missing API.

Please take a look at the just published article and see if the steps and the files work for you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 217 Replies 217
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME HERE! Brand new 15" macbook pro (non retina) June 2012, 10.7.4 running the same CS5 I did on my 2010 iMac and 2011 Air and worked perfect on those 2 and now on the latest and greatest macbook pro, InDesign crashes when trying to export a pdf: aka. each time a Warning Dialog box appears!!! and it's strange becuase it's always blank and has no text in the warning box...? the alt-click trick works ONLY on the page deletion, but not on pdf export..cleared font cache, re-installed InDesign, didn't install any other fonts yet, reset the ram's, launched in safe mode, got it tested at the Apple store (they said it was fine and also didn't know why it was happening)...MAJOR REMORSE AND REGRET on this purchase...which is a first for me as I love all things Apple and never had software issues before...

(Side note: Also dealing with a Photoshop CS5 issue where unless I uncheck the font preview box in prefs, I get the spinning beach ball for ever and basically cant even use photoshop...)

Adobe and/or Apple please fix, is this a video driver issue?? how can this happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue with InDesign CS6 on a new rMBP running Lion 10.7.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue with CS4.

New MacBook Pro (June 2012 but not the retina version), OSX 10.7.4 and I'm using CS4 (behind the times, I know!)

Briefly flashes the warning box but with no details, then force quits.

Happens when exporting to the "Smallest File Size" PDF profile and when deleting a page (but thanks to izmalakoff for that alt-click workaround)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are investigating this issue, right now we're attempting to duplicate it in our labs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problems with the new Retina MBP and Adobe Illustrator CS5.5 when Exporing to Adobe PDF (Interactive)

It seems to work with Adobe PDF (Print) BUT the PDF Interactive crashes every single time.

I tried a new file with only text and one graphic image and again, system crashes!!!

Please HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try exporting a blank page with a line of overset text as a smallest file size pdf and when the typical warning box comes up (which is blank and missing the button too), it just crashes ...

Screen Shot 2012-06-27 at 8.48.14 AM.png

same version of Lion 10.7.4 and CS5 was fine on my 2010 quad 2.93 i7 imac and July 2011 Air .... is this an issue with new line of macbook pro's ? ie. video driver and/or system fonts..??

only other program I installed so far on my new macbook pro was Office home 2011...no other fonts yet installed either..AppleCare cant help..

Thanks for your time in looking into this, I know a lot of us depend on InDesign for daily survival and this is a serious matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with indesign CS5. Thought CS6 would not have the problem but apparently same there, shit, just ordered it. Adobe please help quick, this is a disaster for us pro's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggestion for a possible quick temporary fix, an option to disable all warnings. Maybe that will at least help us all to keep on working for now untill a more solid solution is found. Idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent > 3 hours on Adobe phone support (on my dime) until they said they will need to escalate and call me back within an hour (asked for my number). 4 days later and nobody called. This is unacceptable. Adobe, I spent a fortune on InDesign and it is not working. What's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening with InCopy- crashes with same symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2 days straight, I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! I was trying everything, especially related to font book and fonts and resetting prefs, etc...

I narrowed it down to 1 constant variable: it's happening on the 2012 macbook's, so I reset my mac and held command + R and re-installed Lion, then I DID NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE FOR THE MACBOOK 2012. Then I tried exporting a smallest file size pdf with overset text and also tried deleting a page with an object on it and BAM! No blank warning dialog and even more importantly: NO MORE CRASHES!!! Hey, I might not lose all my clients afterall!

got the good ol' warning box we all love and missed:

Screen Shot 2012-06-28 at 1.14.52 PM.png

Again:

- power off mac and turn back on while holding down Command + R (dont do it on an external keyboard just to be safe)

- choose the re-install Lion option (I'm sure there is another way to re-install Lion, this is just the way I did it, not saying its the best or only method)

- DO NOT INSTALL MACBOOK (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 - THIS SCREWS ADOBE UP!

Screen Shot 2012-06-28 at 1.24.15 PM.png

After you guys try this please let us know how your system is operating, I am noticing my macbook pro is so slow and when trying to send an email and choosing an email to reply to and attach something,etc.. each click triggers the beachball and I gotta wait a few moments..?? I'm sure we might be missing out on some good updates from not updating to the 1.0 software update....but....

So my final question is:

is this Apple's problem or Adobe's and who needs to do what here??? Why can't we all get along...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, Marko. Glad to hear that fixed it for you.

The InDesign team will be testing this out to see what may be going on there, so we can work with Apple to determine how best to fix it.

Has anyone else been able to confirm if they have installed the same update, or if re-installing Lion and skipping that update allows you to avoid the blank dialog and crashing?

I know the procedure he mentions does not sound very fun, but it shouldn't be too time-consuming.

Also, Marko (and others): That update includes some changes to the graphics system. If you have this update installed, but you disable the "automatic graphics switching" setting in system preferences, do you still get the crashing?

(Instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Doing the re-install the way I did doesnt even delete all your files and apps, keeps everything in tact and you dont have to re-install all your programs, even had same desktop files, etc..which I did not know Took maybe an hour and a half...not bad...I would have waited 5 if it fixed it!

I did have the update installed and turned off auto graphic switching and still had crashes...didnt help at all..

Also with the update installed,  I had to turn OFF font preview in Photoshop in order to get it to be stable for me..

thanks for continuing to look into this and hopefully Apple puts out a DIFFERENT update for the graphics as its clearly not a good update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marco272 is right, reinstalled lion (appearantly 10.7.3) but without the macbook pro mid 2012 (10.7.4) update and all works normally in indesign. Brilliant, that's the quick fix. Unfortunately Iphoto doesn't work any more. Please Adobe staff and apple, work this out and make it work properly. @marco, thank you on behalve of my clients and me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working here either. new 2012 macbook air. Tried the fix mentioned and the recovery partition (cmd + r) installed 10.7.4 it did say that is was downloading components so I guess its always going to download the most resent one and install that. which is kind of irritating. haven't installed any of the updates and it still crashes when I try to export a PDF.

Would be nice to have some info from adobe on this. how long is it going to take to fix. Do I have to go back to CS4 on a 7 year old macbook? Because this small bug renders indesign useless!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rebooted using cmd + r , it didnt install 10.7.4 for me and left me with 10.7.3. I still havent updated to the 10.7.4 macbook pro 1.0 software update...and am able to actually use this mac and software for what it's supposed to do and not be stuck with a $2000 paper weight! although, I feel like Im not getting best video performance without the video update...but have to outweigh the benefits I guess til something is fixed...

Weird that it doesnt work the same for you? Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not your fualt. I have no idea how to install 10.7.3. I can't remember what version it came installed with.

I didnt install the update and I find my Macbook air is running a lot hotter. I dont think the 1.0 update is the issue as I am still getting the same problem. So it must be an issue with 10.7.4. Just imagine the fun when 10.8 is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depenbech,

I don't think 10.7.4. is the problem but the update for the new macbook pro's. My new Macbook Pro is running 10.7.3. right now and all works fine. My (very much) older Macbook is running 10.7.4 and all works fine there too. Suppose the problem really lies in the new MacBook Pro's and the 1.0 update which comes with 10.7.4. Just hope 10.8 is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one of the new Mid 2012 MacBook Pros.  I to am having this crashing issue, but only on my two new macbook pros.  However my other older lion (pre update 1.0) and older are not having any issues.  So when could we expect a patch to fix this issue. 

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less than a week ago i bought a Macbook Air installed with Lion 10.7.4. InDesign CS5 crashes whenever a Warning box is activated - this can as other folks have described: when deleting a page with contents; when ungouping objects that have an effect applied; when updating a table of contents, or when relinking to an image that has been updated; (NOT, however, when exporting to a PDF, this seems to work fine, ironically).

I followed the instructions to reboot holding down the Command + R, and i was not given any options to NOT update to 10.7.4. So basically i have the same Lion version as before. I'm assuming that this is because my Air is so new? I really have no idea.

Are there any other suggestions about what to try to fix this, or is there any work from the engineers about a permanet fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is also with the brand new Air with 10.7.4. I removed all errors in preflight and seem to be able to export to IDML, EPS, and print PDF but crashes immediately when exporting interactive PDF, so maybe there's a warning box specific to that export. But I do briefly see a warning box pop up before getting the Indesign crash notification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MBP with Retina display and I have same issues as well (fail on exporting, packaging, printing.) I do have them figure out about not crash while deleting spreads but that's a miner thing compare with those 3 big issues. I bought this computer for my final class but now I can't use and have to use my 5 years old computer for it. I can't believe they haven't have this figured out yet, grr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for Adobe: Is there any way to temporarily disable all warning dialog boxes to prevent crashing?

I know this is not a good long-term solution, but i have to get some work done, and this issue is making it impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck is going on Adobe? I cannot use InDesign on my new MacBookAir, therefore I cannot on client stuff when on the way. I have the same issues as the others here! Please, how can I disable the warning dialogs?

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off graphics switching did not help in my case (2012 MacBook Pro 15-NOT the retina model). I also downloaded a utility that would let me force the MBP to use the integrated graphics (HD4000) and that didn't fix the problem either.

I am in the process of creating a Lion virtual machine with Parallels to see if that will let me run the software without this problem but it is going to be awhile. Between downloading Lion and the Adobe software it isn't the quickest of processes.

-Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines