New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Facts:

InDesign CS5, v7.0.4

OS X 10.7.4

No third-party font-management application running.

Macbook Pro (June, 2012)

InDesign crashes in these two instances:

1. Trying to delete a page that has content. Right as the warning box comes up, it shows up without content (just the "Warning" title) and crashes.

2. When packaging a file, as it's about to warn you about the perils of archiving fonts it does the same thing as above, and crashes.

Tried the alt-opt-cmd-shift trick to reboot preferences and nothing.

Tried deleting the two preference files directly so that they would rebuild and nothing.

Interestingly, I have another computer running OS 10.7.3 (as opposed to 10.7.4 on the crashy one) and the same InDesign CS5 7.0.4 and that one works perfectly.

Ideas? Leads?

Thanks

Armin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Our engineers have provided a workaround that, while potentially complex for some, should allow for full functionality.

Essentially we're asking those affected by this issue to place three icon files within the InDesign application file itself to bypass the check for the missing API.

Please take a look at the just published article and see if the steps and the files work for you.

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crashes-blank-dialog-boxes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 217 Replies 217
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, this will happen on a blank document that has just a drawn line on it. I was doing test pages...

There isn't anything transparent and no fonts... I am completely going nuts here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would attaching or placing my error/crash report help any?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wonderings1111 wrote:

I cannot even add preset page sizes for the print dialogue box because again, it brings up the warning box.

You should be able to do it with the new "Indesign_Defaults.zip" file I've just uploaded.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8980230/InDesign_Defaults.zip

You can also relink or import PSD files without having the warning dialog about the non-maximize PSD saved thing.

Obviously, every preference will be back to default…

And it seems that it only works in CS6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which indesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CS 6…

alexdauchez wrote:

And it seems that it only works in CS6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way that anyone can do that with CS5.5? I mean...I know they keep coming out with new upgrades...but this is getting ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Alex

I think that pretty much covers it all for me, so I am functional at least. Still would love an actual fix for this as I will be upgrading in the next month another pre press machine and it will come default with Lion as well and dont want to go through all this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next month? You can count on Mountain Lion on that one.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi @ll,

i only wanted to let you know how adobe cares about this error:

i have an open service task about this problem @ adobe (in our company there are 5 retina mac books and 5 adobe cs master suites infected ... $28.000!!!)

after weeks i got following answer from adobe:

Please check the following items because the program may crash can also be caused by faulty fonts.

im really pissed @adobe. if you are interested in your customers you should know, that this crappy bug isnt infected by any fonts!

(just to say it again: we also tested cs on the retinas only with system fonts and no other software or update installed on the machines)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on the phone with them for 4 hours yesterday. THey are calling me back. I don't have any fonts installed yet because it is a brand new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also wrote emails to Gizmodo and The Verge alerting them to this problem.  Hopefully, they'll write an article about it that will light a fire under Adobe to 1. properly acknowledge the problem and 2. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT QUICKLY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am losing business....and having to outsource printing because of this. THis is costing me money...as well as the expense of paying for the program. ugh. I hear ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, you are singularly pointing a finger at Adobe when it’s Apple’s O/S that changed. While an Adobe bug is entirely possible past experience tells me that there’s a pretty good chance that Apple broke something here.

While I certainly understand the frustration, I strongly encourage you to yell as loudly in Apple’s direction as you are in Adobe’s.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am. Trust me. I am going there right after work.

I want both parties aware. Especially bc I can't even put Snow Leopard back on my computer is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this problem is certainly frustrating I am not prepared to put all/most of the blame on Adobe's doorstep. As I said over on Appleinsider, how a release of OS X got out into the wild with such an easy to identify problem in a major piece of software speaks to exactly how much thought and care Apple is putting into its testing procedures which in turns says a lot about how much Apple cares about its professional users.

That being said, I just checked Adobe's "known issues" page for Lion and this problem isn't listed. It should be added ASAP.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/known-issues-mac-os-10.html

-kpluck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacGeneration.com, a famous french forum is about to talk about it. Let's see if that will make Adobe a little bit more responsive…

nyctinab wrote:

I am having the same issues crashing with CS6, on MacBook Pro non-retina 15-inch, Mid 2012, 10.7.4

Did you try with the file I provide (see above) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone make a preference file for CS5 too?  I know it's a longshot, but I thought I'd ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it will make Apple a bit more responsive.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be a good solution, thanks…

I have the same problem here with a 2012 MacBook Air running CS6.

I needed to synchronize a book and it crashed when the alert dialog appeared, just as everybody here.

They are not aware of the problem at Adobe Support France…

You can also use Applescript on mac to export your PDF and it works ('cause it doesn't show any dialog box), but it's a weird workaround since it requires knowlegde with Applescript…

Something like :

tell application "adobe Indesign CS6"

set properties of PDF export preferences to newProps

export document 1 format PDF type to yourPath without showing options

end tell

If somebody knows how to synchronize a book with Applescript without showing any dialog box, please let me know.

Cheers from France.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw on a Mountain Lion developers thread that they were getting all the same crashes. That is how I learned about holding down the Option key to prevent some of the crashing. The option key does not prevent crashing when exporting to a PDF. So to answer your question, yes this is happening on current OS, and on the developer's testing Mountain Lion. This is an alarming problem that frankly I can not believe Adobe is not more concerned about.

FYI, there is no way someone at the Apple store would even know about this. They do not troubleshoot other company's software. Adobe and Apple hate each other, so when you bought your computer there was no way an Apple store employee could advise you about this problem. Honestly, Apple store employees are worthless. User forums is the best place to go to research issues with new hardware and software before purchasing.

This is Adobe's bug to fix. If that means sucking it up and talking to Apple developers so be it, but designers are both companies original tribe. You lose our respect and you have problems. Telling us to rollback is not a solution.

Release an update with a fix. End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I do if my computer came with osx 10.7.4? I can't roll back. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add a "me too" ... I got my new rMBP and InDesign is crashing in all the situations everyone else has mentioned. At least I can export PDFs as "high quality print" without a crash. But this issue has cost me a lot of time, and I've got deadlines rapidly approaching.

I've read through the whole thread but may have missed it.... does the solution of restoring back to 10.7.3 work for the rMBP? If anyone else has already tried it, I'd like to hear about it before I take that step.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@unstrungharp, it seems to be impossible to revert back to 10.7.3 on a RMBP so I guess you're stuck right now. Let's just hope Adobe and Apple realise the seriousness of the problem and get this solved quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work around to export to PDF Smallest File Size was to set output to "No Color Conversion".  Geez.  Took me all day to find the work around.  Basically, you have to avoid any warning boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines