• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5 style sheets not working on text after imported from Word

Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear experts,

Iā€™m working in Adobe CS5 on documents that were created in a more recent version of InDesign. I had them converted into .idml documents so I could open and re-save them.

After I import text from Word created for the ID doc, I try to apply some style sheets that were created for this document but donā€™t work. I tried doing an alt-click override on the imported word text (as well as in the paragraph styles palette), but it didnā€™t solve the issue. I still have to go through the text manually and style it that way. What other factors have I not taken into consideration?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you import the Word styles as well ?

Did you check that no Word-imported character styles were applied as well (that could explain things...) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vinny38,

Thanks for the response. How do I determine whether Word styles were imported or not? Sorry, a bit of a novice here. The import option I used was in the "Place" dialog box when "import options" is checked and I pick "remove styles and formatting" before clicking "ok." I tried checking under Edit > Preferences but can't find anything related to importing text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual cause of failure on a paragraph style is that there  is also a character style applied to the entire paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have checked the character styles palette to see if this is the case, but haven't found any character styles highlighted. Is there some other way to find out if a character style has been applied to the entire paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future reference, though, how do I override character styles for an entire paragraph?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't override character styles, remove them from the paragraph. Select the whole paragraph and click in the Character Style Panel on [None. Or if you want to get rid of every Character Style use, delete them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Without a screen shot, it's not clear if you are up against overrides or character styles assigned to an entire paragraphā€”but I'd wager it's one or the other. 

The rule of thumb on styles to use paragraph styles to set the format for the entire paragraph, and then use character styles to differentiate strings of text within the paragraph. For example, a paragraph style called Body could be used to format the paragraphs below, and then a character style called Emphasis could be used to highlight important words.

InDesign CCss_018.png

As per Willi, it goes downhill quickly when you assign a character style to an entire paragraph.

If it's overrides, you can remove them with a quick find/change:

InDesign CCss_020.png

InDesign CCss_021.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines