• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5 version 7.0.4

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a novel and have come a page where I've hit some sort of "wall."

I've tried all sorts of workarounds but the same problem keeps happening. I'm typing on this particular line when it disappears as I reach the end of the line. I've tried typing different words, etc but the same thing happens regardless if I'm in the middle  or end of a word, the moment the cursor tries to drop to the next line the copy vanishes.

Can anyone help? I need to get past this problem. It's bad enough to have a page of text disappear whenever I swipe to select a word or words. Thankfully I get it back by scrolling the pages up or down. This new problem has me stumped. 

TOPICS
InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text overset? Try selecting a word on the troublesome line and choose Edit > Edit In Story Editor. InDesign will show if the text is overset by displaying a gray line and the word overset. Please confirm is that is the issue and we can help from there. 

I have to add that CS5 is pretty old (released in 2010), and not designed to run on modern operating systems. Sometimes the old apps will open, but behave erratically.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be the issue, Barb. I've included a screen shot of the Story Editor window.

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 4.44.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show a screen shot with hidden characters? Story Editor and layout view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Barb. I meant to mentioned that I still require help with this issue. You hit the nail on the head but I don't know what to do to fix it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize I'm using a pretty old version of InDesign, but I don't think I can afford upgrading to the new that requires monthly payments off the Cloud. Also, I used Story Editor to delete the text overset but the problem still occurs with Story Editor currently showing NO text overset. Hmmm........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you add the missing text in Story Editor, where you can keep an eye on it?

I can see "It was Dydd Sul w" and then the sentence ends abruptly. Is that where the problem is?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem keeps happening immediately after the 'w.'  This is what I have tried this morning (apologies for the delay in getting back to you):

1. Tried adding the missing rexr in Story Editor but the text disappeared after the 'w'

2. Tried deleting that text frame, created a brand new frame, reflowed the text from the previous page but the problem still happened

3. Tried deleting the actual page spread, brought in new spread, reflowed text, but the problem still happened

4. Tried checking the text with Story Editor for text overset with each of the above but it never indicated a text overset issue

I'm stumped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think yuo told me what operating sytem you are using? We can expect old apps to not work as they should when running on the current operating systems. 

As a last effort, you might try a new file to see what happens. If you can get the data in, you can copy/paste the text over to the current file.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an iMac with macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

*Greg Smith*
*Fine Art Pencil Painter* *and Custom Portraits, and author*
http://animalsandpeoplebygregsmith.weebly.com/
https://gvsimages.wixsite.com/gregsmith-author
https://www.liamcadoc.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using a mid-2010 iMac with macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

And I have tried copying the chapter from InDesign to a new Word doc. Works, I can continue typing that line of text without problems. I then copied that new Word text to a new InDesign file but the problem reappears.

FYI, here's a screen shot of highlighted text from that line + the Story Editor + hidden characters visible. I can't see anything wrong!Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 1.01.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines