• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 Fails to Start

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 on Windows 10 was working earlier.  At some point I changed the TEMP and TMP environment variables (this might be a red herring).  Both Adobe Photoshop  CS6 and Indesign stopped working.  I was able to fix Photoshop by specifying work drives.  I have not been able to get InDesign to work.  I restored TEMP and TMP back to their default values and tried to start InDesign and got a nasty message about insufficient space on my C: drive (it has 189 GB free).  After that, I didn't get any messages when attempting to start it.  The startup logo would show briefly, then disappear.  I tried starting as Administrator - no luck.  I deleted the Preferences file, no luck.  I tried deleting the Cache, no luck.  I deleted the Recovery folder, no luck.  Attached is the Event log entry for my last try.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

I have resolved this problem.  I retried Photoshop and it was acting like InDesign.  I then tried Bridge and it gave me a nasty message about TMP not pointing to a directory on the C: drive.  I reset the Environment Variables TMP and TEMP to their default values, but without using the %SystemRoot% or %UserProfile%  variables in TMP or TEMP.  Instead I used C:\Windows and C:\Users\<UserID> in TMP and TEMP.  This fixed all three Adobe programs.  Very frustrating.  In future I won't change those va

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resolved this problem.  I retried Photoshop and it was acting like InDesign.  I then tried Bridge and it gave me a nasty message about TMP not pointing to a directory on the C: drive.  I reset the Environment Variables TMP and TEMP to their default values, but without using the %SystemRoot% or %UserProfile%  variables in TMP or TEMP.  Instead I used C:\Windows and C:\Users\<UserID> in TMP and TEMP.  This fixed all three Adobe programs.  Very frustrating.  In future I won't change those variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photo Kram,

why did you change the Environment Variables TMP and TEMP in the first place?

What did you try to accomplish with that step?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 is not officially compatible with Windows 10; if your work is mission critical consider upgrading InDesign to a recent CC version, e.g. version 16.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion Derek, but I am retired and on a fixed income.  Paying monthly for Bridge, Powerpoint and InDesign is more than I want to spend.  If the Adobe applications refuse to work, I will start investigating other offerings elsewhere.

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I set aside a separate partition for temp files.  I find that temp files on the C: drive can reduce space on the C: drive and I have to run disk cleanup too frequently.  Some of my InDesign documents run over 200 MB run alone.  Its something I have done with all of my windows machines for many years.  I have not experienced a similar problem in the past.

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines