• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign CS6 serial number only 20 characters

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Indesign CS6/ID8 on my old HP Spectre X360 laptop three years ago but after a technical problem - where Windows and everything had to be reinstalled - I could not reinstall.

I have found the old installation files and, as I have CS6/ID8 still installed and working on my desktop PC, thought I had found the serial number. However, it only has 20 characters and not the 24 sought.

How can I find the serial number on the desktop PC (Windows 10)?

Thanks for any help
Ken

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Ken said: "I have found the old installation files and, as I have CS6/ID8 still installed and working on my desktop PC, thought I had found the serial number. However, it only has 20 characters and not the 24 sought."

Hi Ken,

maybe you found the wrong serial number.

Let me explain this a bit more:

For some years now InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC version 9 are not part of Creative Cloud anymore.

That means: If you took the serial number from the old installation and you had installed CC soft

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try License Crawler. It's a very simple and effective program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest running Belarc Advisor on your desktop PC. Be sure to get the program directly from the software publisher; it's widely distributed through software despositories like CNet and such, but as a matter of security I recommend always downloading your software direct from the program's publisher.

It's a powerful and widely recommended system inventory utility, which offers a comprehensive check of the software and hardware configuration of your system. One of the things it does as it conducts that full inventory is register and list things like your Windows and other software serial/activation numbers.

You may encounter activation issues trying to do a "fresh" install of CS6. But as far as getting the serial/activation numbers for your software off your system, Belarc Advisor is a safe and secure way to do the trick.

Just be sure to run the reports and save a record (I prefer a hard copy, but it'll also work to save it to another system/external drive) to help you if you have any future issues. I look at it like carrying an umbrella if it looks like rain. If you have it with you, it's entirely possible you'll never need it. But if you do need it, you're prepared.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Sunny.sunny and Randy Hagan for help.
I installed License crawler (still waiting for Belarc to reply) and it found the necessary code.

But when I type it in to the installation Serial Number box it tells me "The Adobe software you're attempting to install is not genuine".

As I downloaded the original software from the Adobe site when I installed it in 2018 (when I signed up for Creative Suite to pay monthly for Indesign) I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Any ideas before I take it up with Support directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you didn't deavtivate it on the previous computer. The best way to sort it out is to contact Adobe Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the error you'd get for too many activations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 has not been available as part of a CC subscription for quite some time and even then did not use a serial number. Additionally, the software and serial number are two different things. Just because you got the actual software from Adobe doesn't make the serial number legit.

Where did you get the original serial number from?

Finally, CS6 is nine years old and is eight versions out of date. It's not supported at all under Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet it still runs and runs well under W10.

The newspaper I used to work for still uses it. They know it and know what they are doing with it.

Since leaving I have done some work for them so it was interesting when I signed up for Indesign in 2018 to see that ID8/CS6 was offered for download.

I downloaded it on desktop and laptop.

Having it meant not needing to save into CS4 and mess around at their end relinking files etc.

When I had a problem on the laptop HP service asked me to reinstall Windows. After I did so I discovered CS6 was no longer available to download as described here....
"We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and as a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them. These applications include Creative Suite 6, which Creative Cloud customers have been able to download as part of their subscription. Our records show that you may be using the following version(s) of these Creative Suite 6 applications:"

License Crawler turned up a second serial number for CS6 but that, too, was rejected

Customer Service is next up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read this? https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/digital-certificate-revoked-aam.html

I would try to clean your Windows using Creative Cloud Cleaner tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I didn't see that. I'll give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look at it seems beyond my skills - especially as it could wipe any traces of the previous installation, without saying if that includes the original install files

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, you will have your install files but to keep you calm, copy them to an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be quite surprised if you get much in the way of help from Adobe on this. CS6 has zero support at this point and they certainly won't help in regard to a CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you are right. So far, there does not seem any way to actually contact anyone other than thru the Community.
All the so-called Contact and Chat links lead back to the same page https://helpx.adobe.com/support/creative-cloud.html?promoid=NGWGRLZ4&mv=other

Given that I am paying monthly for Indesign (2021) then it seems ridiculous that the Help options that I am paying for are actually self-help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

to make this work you have to uninstall all creative cloud software and then install CS6 from your DVDs or the original installers from your DVDs using your serial number from about 10 years ago when you purchased CS6 and no creative cloud was around.

Why? In the moment you install creative cloud software on top of already installed perpetual CS6 software the serial number of your installed perpetual version will change.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken said: "I have found the old installation files and, as I have CS6/ID8 still installed and working on my desktop PC, thought I had found the serial number. However, it only has 20 characters and not the 24 sought."

Hi Ken,

maybe you found the wrong serial number.

Let me explain this a bit more:

For some years now InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC version 9 are not part of Creative Cloud anymore.

That means: If you took the serial number from the old installation and you had installed CC software on top of it you have the wrong serial number extracted, because the CC installation back then changed your perpetual serial number to a new one that is tied to the Creative Cloud.

And that means for your new machine:

First wipe all creative cloud software from your machine, then install your perpetual version with your perpetual serial number. You cannot retrieve that serial number from a machine where you installed creative cloud.

To get rid of all remnants of a creative cloud installation use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

{Response modified by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. I can see that's logical.

When I signed up for Creative Cloud Indesign in 2018 I saw that CS6 was available to download via the CC download app and the Older versions dropdown. I did so on both HP laptop and desktop.

However, as explained above, the HP had to be reformatted and by this time CS6 was no longer available/supported.

I had thought that as I still had the installation files then I would be able to set up CS6 anew - and started the hunt for the serial number.

But you're right, there was no serial number needed when I downloaded the Older version from CC.

Ah well, I guess I'm resigned to the long workaround: saving pages as CS4 files, then to Google Drive to transfer to my desktop PC and open/save in the PC's CS6.

Thanks for all answers and for taking the time to offer help. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ken said: "I had thought that as I still had the installation files then I would be able to set up CS6 anew - and started the hunt for the serial number."

If that would have been the perpetual version of CS6 and you still have the serial number for this perpetual version, not the version from Creative Cloud, you still could first wipe all CC from the machine and install CS6 as next step. The perpetual version of CS6 is still an "authorized" version, the CS6 from Creative Cloud is not.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines