Highlighted

indesign, data merge and subfolders

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way too have Indesign pull images from subfolders when using data merge?

I have 6,000+ images in multiple folders, to help keep them organized. eg. H:\Images\JKL\K02501.psd

My InDesign file is on my local computer.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Yes to your question.

But you have to state the full path of every single image file in your data source file.

FWIW: Perhaps it would be easier to run your data merge with a data source file that is in the same folder with duplicates of all your 6,000+ images? Then you would only need to list the file names. Not the whole path.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

indesign, data merge and subfolders

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way too have Indesign pull images from subfolders when using data merge?

I have 6,000+ images in multiple folders, to help keep them organized. eg. H:\Images\JKL\K02501.psd

My InDesign file is on my local computer.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Yes to your question.

But you have to state the full path of every single image file in your data source file.

FWIW: Perhaps it would be easier to run your data merge with a data source file that is in the same folder with duplicates of all your 6,000+ images? Then you would only need to list the file names. Not the whole path.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to your question.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: It does not matter where your InDesign template document for data merge is.

The position of the data merge data source file is counting.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

// EDITED FOR CLARITY

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes your correct I would not waant to copy paste every image path into my spreadsheet.

Do you think in my spreadsheet I could write a formula that would place the last folder location into the path name? eg. H:\Images\KLMN\myimage.psd, I already have the have the first part of the path which is static as "H:|Images\" written in the @Image column then concatenate the file name "myimage.psd" on the end. I could write an if/else the file name begins with a K or L or M or N, look in the KLMN folder else look in OPQR folder and so on. Obviously I didn't write that correctly but you should get the jist of it. It would be a very long string. lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi apcoinc,

I would simply try this. Start with a couple of file paths only and do a test with data merge.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I hope your issue is resolved already but in case you need more assistance please reply to this thread. 

Else, if the solution above helped, please confirm. 

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 10, 2020 0