Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Data Merge using online documents like Google sheets

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it's possible to create a mail merge in InDesign using an online database, as in Google sheets. At the moment I have to export the data to my Mac, then link it to my merge page. This creates a lot of extra steps, especially if I've forgotten something. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Using InDesign CC 2017...

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

InDesign Data Merge only works with CSV or Tab-Delimited text files. Exporting is the only way to get those if you a dealing with a program other than a plain text editor. If you were working with Excel on your computer, you would still have to export to get a usable data file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that it would be more convenient if we could merge data from an online database, but as Susan mentioned above, InDesign doesn't have this feature right now.

There are other users who have also asked for this feature. I would request if you can also upvote this feature request here: make data merge possible from Google Sheet without being forced to make csv – Adobe InDesign Feedback

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Prod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign Data Merge only works with CSV or Tab-Delimited text files. Exporting is the only way to get those if you a dealing with a program other than a plain text editor. If you were working with Excel on your computer, you would still have to export to get a usable data file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned on the feature request page, Google Sheets actually does have a "Publish" option which publishes the sheet to an online csv. So this shouldn't be too hard for Adobe to implement! They just need to provide the option to give InDesign a a URL instead of a filepath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that it would be more convenient if we could merge data from an online database, but as Susan mentioned above, InDesign doesn't have this feature right now.

There are other users who have also asked for this feature. I would request if you can also upvote this feature request here: make data merge possible from Google Sheet without being forced to make csv – Adobe InDesign Feedbac...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who is reading this, please upvote the request! I would still love this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines