Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign debug version user guide

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any documentation on how to use InDesign debug version's features for plugin development and debugging.

Thanks

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

I don't think there is a debug-specific documentation for InDesign.

It looks like you want to understand the console windows logs that InDesign spits when running.

To start with:
1. Use the DebugWindow (Mac only) tool that comes with SDK. For windows, you can use notepad
2. Obtain the InDesign debug version from prerelease form
3. When you launch InDesign debug version, a new set of menus are added at top level. This should be easily visible
4. You can toggle the TRACES menu child items to check for s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have a specific feature you are looking at or are trying to use in the Debug version, as we may be able to help with that?

I have not been able to find any documentation to help.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarlaeDC​ view the console. and view the logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think there is a debug-specific documentation for InDesign.

It looks like you want to understand the console windows logs that InDesign spits when running.

To start with:
1. Use the DebugWindow (Mac only) tool that comes with SDK. For windows, you can use notepad
2. Obtain the InDesign debug version from prerelease form
3. When you launch InDesign debug version, a new set of menus are added at top level. This should be easily visible
4. You can toggle the TRACES menu child items to check for specific things.

A prerequisite to debugging InDesign is a good understanding of the InDesign Object Model and self exploration. SDK should help you here.

I have debugged InDesign a lot and just to give you a headstart I shall share what I have mostly used:
-- Signals
-- Commands

Events, Menus, and dumping OM are other things I have used less frequently, though have been quite useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines