Highlighted

InDesign doc exported as an interactive PDF, but hyperlinks not working when uploaded to website

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I exported an interactive PDF from InDesign, All was fine in Acrobat. But after sending the doc to my client, they uploaded it to their website, and none of the links work. They hyperlink text style is still there, but nothing is clickable either in the viewer or after downloading. Is it my document or the way they uploaded it?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign doc exported as an interactive PDF, but hyperlinks not working when uploaded to website

New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I exported an interactive PDF from InDesign, All was fine in Acrobat. But after sending the doc to my client, they uploaded it to their website, and none of the links work. They hyperlink text style is still there, but nothing is clickable either in the viewer or after downloading. Is it my document or the way they uploaded it?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they simple hyperlinks or are you using a roll-over button for the links?

It's always best to test interactive PDFs in a range of devices and reading appps before distributing.

It might be worth exporting the document as an InDesign Publish Online document and sending the URL to the client for them to unpload that to their website (HTML5 is more reliable) – you can enable the Publish Online document so that those who access it can also download a PDF version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 1
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file being processed after your hand it off? I would ask to speak to the people touching the file before it is being uploaded.

I suspect the hyperlinks are being stripped out, possibly by optimizing the file before uploading by being overly aggressive the Discard User Data settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die you write the URL in text or did you use the hyperlink panel to add the technical hyperlinkt too as you should do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 0
wcalc LATEST
New Here ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used the insert hyperlink function in InDesign. Worked fine in the PDF. Doesn't work on the website.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"nothing is clickable either in the viewer or after downloading. Is it my document or the way they uploaded it?"

It is not your document, which is fully compliant with the PDF format (aka ISO 32000) specifications.

The issue comes from the software used to read this PDF, it is it which does not support the functionalities of the PDF format.

Ask your client what software they use to open your PDFs, you will be surprised.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 0