Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign documents opens as read only

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After upgrading to InDesign 2021, we experience periodic issues with files that open in read-only mode.

Files are stored on a Xinet server (Linux), which we connect to via afp.

The permissions on the files seem to be ok (Read and write)

InDesign: 16.2.1
macOS: 10.15.7

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

True, and with smaller and smaller internal drives I really should move everything to the cloud. I guess I could set up my own network storage. But I like simplifying, not adding layers of complexity. Yo no se. What's your recommended MO for files?

I did however SOLVE my read/write issue. System Settings -> Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > Drag in InDesign and Enable

YAY! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. It is very frustrating! This happened on earlier versions of InDesign and MacOS. I uploaded the latest versions of both to no avail. This really needs to be sorted out!

Mac OS: 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue. 

Windows 10 Pro: 20H2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me.

Since moving from an iMac (2015) to a new MacBook Pro 13“ (2020), Indesign files sporadically open read-only. There is no recognizable pattern.
The files are opened from a server, this does not happen with locally stored files.
No change has been made to the server in that time.

Permissions on files are ok.

Connection via smb.

Mac OS 11.5.2
Adobe Creative Cloud 5.5.0.619
Indesign 16.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as though there haven't been any responses to these questions going back to June. I'm hoping this will receive some traction now so I'm pinging @Srishti Bali for some guidance. Maybe this has to do with newer versions misreading server permissions or some type of file preview conflict. Let's get all of you some answers soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have shared the information with product team. We'll get back to you once we have an update or we require some more information about this. We'd appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this going?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People have had this issue since 2019. Just moved from a laptop to a desktop iMac, first time getting this problem. I do get an additional error "file may be damaged." Definitely something to do with the drive permissions, as I can save to the drive, but not to the subfolder. Even then, I cannot overwrite either copy of file. 

Removable Storage Drive

Indesign: 18.1

Workaround is to save to the desktop, delete the original then move onto the removable. Oy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working from or to a removable drive is not advisable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, and with smaller and smaller internal drives I really should move everything to the cloud. I guess I could set up my own network storage. But I like simplifying, not adding layers of complexity. Yo no se. What's your recommended MO for files?

I did however SOLVE my read/write issue. System Settings -> Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > Drag in InDesign and Enable

YAY! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the 'Read Only' issue ever since upgrading to v.18. Is there a PC fix please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an on going issue, hopefully resolved in next update. It has created a huge snag in my team's workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: In our setup, it is possible for two users to have the same document open, at the same time, without any warnings.

The user who opens the document first can work without problems. User two can open the same document, but in read-only mode. User two can only save the document under a new name.

So in many cases, we end up with the same document, in several different editions (_NEW, _OK, etc.)
It's a mess...

I think our problem is connected to this topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/multiple-users-can-now-open-the-same-document-in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that things because people use it abnormal workflow. No offence. Or create workflow with InCopy for work with text simultaneously, or do book with few .indd where "one indd file" have a "one man" responsible for this file and no more any other living soul!

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus one more thing. Strange that InDesign is still don't have something native like

this: https://creativepro.com/free-layout-zones-add-on-is-incredible-productivity-tool/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem on windows 11, but only files saved in a fold named templates opened read only. Once i moved them from that fold they were fine, very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines