• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign export error message

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export an InDesign file to PDF and am receiving two error messages.  First - "This document contains links to files/URL(s) that are not accessible.  Please check your network connectivity or the original source of content."  Second - Failed to Export the PDF file."  Preflight window there are no errors.  Links window are to the placed photos.  I can't find a URL or email address in the document that is not correctly associated under the hyperlinks window with the real URL or email address. I have read to export as a mark up file and have done that, but to no avail, continue to receive the error message.  Document is a two page bulletin to be emailed to a group.  Operating system is Windows 10 Pro. Creative Cloud just updated recently, automatically.

InDesign error message 1.pngInDesign error message 2.png

Thank you for your help,

Edith

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Are you on a mac or PC? It is all about the permissions on macs. Go to system preferences, security and privacy, privacy tab. Click the lock icon and login. In the full disk & access and files & folders, make sure all adobe programs are checked. If you can't do this which I couldn't at first, you will need to update your os. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... The fix was in this thread. It was in settings I believe. Ill try and find the soultion for you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is all about the permissions on macs. Go to system preferences, security and privacy, privacy tab. Click the lock icon and login. In the full disk & access and files & folders, make sure all adobe programs are checked. If you can't do this which I couldn't at first, you will need to update your os. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me. I'm on a Mac, my OS is fully updated and I've given full disk access to all Adobe apps (ID, AI, PS, and Acrobat) and checked that they have access to files and folders. 

I'm using OneDrive to store all of the files but there are dozens so I don't really want to duplicate them all to my. local disk and relink if that's not the problem. 

I've only had this issue since I recently uninstalled the older versions of Adobe apps and kept only the most current (to free up disk space). 

Any advice for me please?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue (all of a sudden!)

I go to System Preferences > Privacy & Security, but I don't have a "Privacy Tab", neither do I see the lock icon you're referring too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your MAC OS version? Paste some screenshots, so that we have some clear idea of what you see.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got the same issue, but am on a PC.
Any ideas for that too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its 2021 now and this helped me!! thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Same here…2021 and it helped me too. Never had this happen before but this worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edith,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing some more info like:
1. Version of InDesign.

2. Is it happening with a single document or with all of them?
3. Have you tried resetting the preferences of InDesign? (If not, please try following the steps on https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html#restore_all_preferences_and_default_...)

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article. 

If this is happening with a single document, try to convert document to IDML and then try to export. Let us know how it goes.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using InDesign 15.0.1. It's happening with all my InDesign documents (and there are a lot as I do layout design work every day). I tried resetting preferences but it didn't help, so I uninstalled InDesign and then reinstalled. So far, that seems to be working. I'm not sure if it's a Catalina and InDesign issue, but after installing, InDesign asks to access files from my desktop. We'll see how things go.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the re-install did not solve the issue. Every time I open an InDesign document, I can't export as a pdf because I get the same errors mentioned at the beginning of this thread: ("This document contains links to files/URL(s) that are not accessible. Please check your network connectivity or the original source of content."  Failed to Export the PDF file.") Within the links panel, all links are shown as linked. I have to relink all the images every time I open the document. This is a serious and inefficient problem!! Please help!

Note that this problem occured after installing InDesign 15.0.1 and upgrading to Mac OS Catalina. (I also tried installing InDesign 14.0 and have the same errors.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same exact issue on my mac, except I recently upgraded to mojave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are these files stored? Network? Local? Dropbox? OneDrive? gDrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bi Bob,

The files are stored on my local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please answer the problem to this for WINDOWS 10 users?? The link to the PDF on the link you shared does not exist. This is incredibly aggravating! 

PROBLEM:  “This document contains links to files/URL(s) that are not accessible. Please check your network connectivity or the original source of content.”

HELP! (I AM NOT ON A MAC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you ever able to find a fix for this for Windows 10 users?  I have been unable to find one and have been having this issue for days now.  I just find Mac user fixes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I have found a similar discussion on https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/export-from-indesign-to-pdf-failed-cannot-place-this-file/m-...
Please check if the steps provided help you out. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like being mentioned in the thread as referred by Ashutosh, placed PDF files can contain various kinds of faulty content, but also file restrictions.

Could you try creating a Package and see if all files are gathered correctly, so there are no mysteriously missing files ? Does Export still result in the same error ? If so, then could you try testing your file with e.g. half of the pages recursively, in order to close in on the troubling page and placed content ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AshutoshRox and @Peter_Villevoye,

I'm not sure you are understanding the issue as your two comments above do not relate to the problems we are having. Please refer to the top of the post from Phili4.

I am using InDesign 2020 15.0.1 on OS Catalina. Every time I open an InDesign document, all images in the links panel are not properly linked (even though they show that they are). I have to relink every image each time I open an InDesign document (even if I opened it yesterday) in order to export as a pdf. I do not place PDF files into InDesign. All the files are jpegs or Adobe Illustrator files. This is happening to all my InDesign files, not just one. No errors in the preflight window and all images and text appear to be linked properly.

I get this error when exporting to a pdf, unless I've relinked all images again. 

"This document contains links to files/URL(s) that are not accessible. Please check your network connectivity or the original source of content." "Failed to Export the PDF file."  

I have deleted InDesign preferences and uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign with no luck. Not sure what to do here. Let us know if you have any solutions.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I forgot to mention that I receive the same error when trying to package the file. So, I can't package to see if any images are missing. I also can't export any of the pages of any of my documents. This problem is across the board on all of my InDesign files since upgrading to Catalina and InDesign 2020 15.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar symptom can occur, but with a different cause.

Catalina does have a stricter policy towards granting applications access to any files:

https://www.howtogeek.com/443611/how-macos-catalinas-new-security-features-work/

Does this help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! This could totally be the issue. Is it recommended to allow InDesign full access to the files? I will try it and see what happens. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This soolved the problem. Thanks. I had the exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, finally! Problem solved by allowing InDesign to access files and folder within System Preferences.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.06.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines