• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign file Huge after data merge

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I data merged an excel sheet into my indesign file. No background or images in file. Now the indesign file is 746MB! Shouldn't be more than a 1 mb I would think. Any suggestions of how I can make that smaller?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post over to the proper forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a vague question. Is there more information? It is the merged record that you consider too large? How many records? Do you have inmages and/or QR codes? Do you need to save the merged file? I usually never save the mreged file since I can generate it on demand. so I seldom measire size of my files. You are sure it's not 746KB? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you save that file as IDML, open that and save it again as INDD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue. Not really wanting to save as IDML. Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not saving as IDML, it's export to that format and then open/save under a new INDD name. Even more than Save-As, this process purges vast amounts of accumulated edit and work data and often rewrites doc structure as well, fixing small glitches and (I believe) streamlining some complex components.

If neither IDML-INDD nor Save As much reduces a file like the OP's, it's just valid data and structure creating that size.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fairness, you'll find IDML under the save as and export menus, but the point is there is zero reason not to try it. It creates a new file and leaves the original INDD file untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct that it's in both places — and I've never quite established whether there is any difference in the result, but I tend to use and recommend Export... just because.

Didn't mean there was a difference in the processes, only that "saving as IDML and leaving it that way" was not what's generally meant.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are identical. I don't remember when they added it to the file > save as menu but it was quite a few versions back. It's also included when you package a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines