Highlighted

Indesign File Info

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago I noticed that I'd lost the ability to open my InDesign's File Info to add metadata. I'd click on the dropdown and nothing would appear, though InDesign would act as though the window was open since all other dropdown options were greyed out. I could still hit enter though and it would "close" the missing window and I could get back to my work.

Not having the time to deal with it then, I took a look at a few Adobe forum answers and thought that clearing my InDesign Preferences would be the best way to start. But after clearing, I still can't see the window, and sometimes when I hit enter to get out of it, nothing happens.

Does anybody have any ideas for a surefire fix? It's really frustrating and I'd hate to be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling for my InDesign program to work the way it should.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

On OSX it's in your user account Library. Delete the entire version folder:

/Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version X

On OSX the Library is hidden by default. To show it:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

See the first post in this thread for Windows—under Saved Data

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences [2009 Outdated & Locked]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign File Info

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months ago I noticed that I'd lost the ability to open my InDesign's File Info to add metadata. I'd click on the dropdown and nothing would appear, though InDesign would act as though the window was open since all other dropdown options were greyed out. I could still hit enter though and it would "close" the missing window and I could get back to my work.

Not having the time to deal with it then, I took a look at a few Adobe forum answers and thought that clearing my InDesign Preferences would be the best way to start. But after clearing, I still can't see the window, and sometimes when I hit enter to get out of it, nothing happens.

Does anybody have any ideas for a surefire fix? It's really frustrating and I'd hate to be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling for my InDesign program to work the way it should.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences [2009 Outdated & Locked]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First tell us what version of InDesign (exact version) you're using and what operating system you're running (exact verson).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! I'm running Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 (2018) on a MacOS Sierra (10.12.6).

My team and I have yet to migrate to Adobe InDesign CC 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already being discussed here:

Re: problem with file info

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately mine is not a question of how to scale, since when I go to File Info no window or panel pops up. But thank you very much for trying to help! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it might be a cache problem, try deleting the caches folder

/Users/username/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 13.0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Briana,

I would like to know if deleting caches as suggested by Rob worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti! To be honest, I looked for the cache that Rob referred to but wasn't able to find it. Unfortunately some other priorities took  precedent, and I didn't get a chance to reply back or do any further research into the cache.

Can you, or Rob, let me know where this cached file lives? Is it within my libraries or is it hidden in another file elsewhere?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me (deleting the cache folder). I am using InDesign 14.0.3 on Mac Catalina 10.15.3 

Any other suggestions?

Followup — I went ahead and upgraded to newest version of InDesign in the CC app. So, now using Adobe InDesign 2020 version 15.0.1, the file info function works again. Now I just have to deal with the fact that I supply InDesign files to people using lower version of ID. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also did not work for me. I don't want to upgrade to 2020 yet. They did in my office computer and it was really buggy for some things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem too. Using IndesignCC 14.0.3; MacOS Catalina 10.15.3. Trashed prefs. did not fix. btw not allowed to upgrade to InD v15, because office is not at that point yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. Googled it. Found on InDesign Secrets https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/disappearing-file-info-dialog. This problem is probably due to the fact I have an external monitor.

« ...there is a file named “DVADialogPrefs.xml” located in the User Library folder in Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version X/en_US/DVADialogPrefs. (Hold down the Option key and choose Go > Library in the Finder to display the Library folder). Quitting InDesign, deleting the “DVADialogPrefs.xml” file, and restarting InDesign fixes the problem, and allows the File Info dialog box to display properly. »

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines