• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign file opens as unsaved

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started today. I open an InDesign file and without making any changes it is somehow altered and needs to be saved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Fixed it. Just found the solution on another thread about the same problem. Reset your InDesign Preferences.

Skærmbillede 2018-11-14 kl. 13.57.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've provided precious little information for us to know what's happening: What it does it mean: "without making any changes [the InDesign file] is somehow altered"? What version of InDesign? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OS X 10.11.6 and using InDesign CC 2017.

The problem is with all InDesign files…including a file created 2 hours before the problem started. That file was created and saved, it was the opened and without doing anything to it I was prompted to save it before closing. I have also created new files saved them, closed and upon reopening they also had to be saved before closing.

The files I open are not copies or templates.

This issue did not exist before yesterday. I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign to no avail. I have also done the same with the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving the files locally, on a server or on a system that might 'tag' the files making them read as updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening from an older version into a newer version, such as from 2015 Release to 2017 Release?

That would be first thing to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also possible that some links are updated automatically or some font mapping was adjusted, which makes the file different from when you opened it.

If your open, save, close then open that file again, does it come up as 'altered' and needs to be saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the options button in the dialog box where you choose files. There is a setting for Open Copy that could do what you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility is that the OP opened a template, but until such time that this is clarified all we can do is guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more possibility is you exported from it. That could cause a need to save the file.

Again, waiting for the OP to explain more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I made a screencapture of it. I open a file that I just saved, and it keeps telling me it is unsaved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem and it drives me crazy - just can't figure out why it is happening.

Often occurs with documents in a book. I save each one: sometimes using Save All and sometimes individually using Save As. With an affected book within seconds of saving everything several (but not usually all) of the documents are unsaved - asterisks appear next to the filename.

Always assumed it was a bug because it doesn't affect every book. Although I have a feeling it affects ones which display other signs of being corrupted somehow. It happened today in a book which I had saved as IDML and then recreated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Working in server environment.

The problem ceased for a certain time when I logged in using a new server account, but now it's there again.

Trashing the preferences didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found that, when I turn off the "Match Pasteboard to Theme Color" it doesn't show the asterisk when opening existing files.

So this is probably related to the theme settings?

Can anyone confirm this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

tried with my desktop version of InDesign CC 2018.1 on Windows (1803).

Turned on/off "Match Pasteboard to Theme Color" in preferences. Does not make a difference.

All my documents open as not modified. So I am not affected.

Maybe that's not the case with you, but there are reports around a problem with Universal Type Client by Extensis and modified documents after open:

Universal Type Client and Adobe InDesign - Links have been modified and need updating

https://help.extensis.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005410534

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it could depends on changing some preferences or settings (such as color profiles) before reopening the document.

For example, if I change the color settings or some InDesign preferences (without opened document), when I reopen the file the asterisk appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cinziamarotta ,

I cannot see this behavior with changed color settings when no document is open.

Can you give an example where this happens?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launch InDesign and, without any document opened, choose EDIT > Color Settings...

Or  > Preferences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Just did that, changed the Engine from "Adobe (ACE)" to "Microsoft ISM", opened an InDesign document and the doc is still not showing as modified. Same with changing some preferences. No modified document showing after opening some.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed my colour settings from Europe prepress 3 into Europe web/internet and InDesign added the asterisk

or

try Preferences > Composition > Text Wrap only affects text beneath

then open an previous file and the asterisk appears...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? Could it be a Hardware / RAM issue or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have learned to live with it. But still really annoying..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed it. Just found the solution on another thread about the same problem. Reset your InDesign Preferences.

Skærmbillede 2018-11-14 kl. 13.57.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried it but it is still happening.  Does anyone have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines