Highlighted

Indesign File pages and links menu went blank .

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I hope you can help me with that.

I was working in an 157 pages Indesign document that suddenly went blank and it doesn't show the links or the content of the pages. But the pages are still there , even I cannot select anything.

The file size is 177 MB but if I duplicate it , save as or package it, the file shows empty. It looks locked , but I am pretty sure that nobody is using it .

I hope you can help me with that , I am desperate.

Thanks

M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign File pages and links menu went blank .

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I hope you can help me with that.

I was working in an 157 pages Indesign document that suddenly went blank and it doesn't show the links or the content of the pages. But the pages are still there , even I cannot select anything.

The file size is 177 MB but if I duplicate it , save as or package it, the file shows empty. It looks locked , but I am pretty sure that nobody is using it .

I hope you can help me with that , I am desperate.

Thanks

M.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 14, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS.

What were you doing when the document went blank, any error messages?

Do you have a recent backup version of the document?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering so quick.

I have CC 2018 up to date.

Not sure what I was doing , as I was using more software programs at the moment. No error message or anything .

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 0
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you export it as an IDML and then reopen it in your version of InDesign? Doing this can sometimes clear up corruption in a file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can , but when I do it , it saves only 217 KB and the file is as empty as the other one.

It doesn't look  good ,

Thanks

M.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 0
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your file consist of one long text thread with anchored images? When you say that the document went blank do you mean completely blank document pages or are there what appear to be empty text frames on the pages? You said that you couldn't select anything but that could be a result of locked (non-primary) text frames from a master page. Try selecting all of the pages in the Pages Panel and choose "Override all Master Page Items" from the Page Panel pull-down menu and then if there are frames there try pulling on their corner handles to open them up and see if the content is still there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I have tried to do this and it doesn't work , the file looks totally empty , no links , no layers , no masters and no page content.

But now that I have copied in the desktop ( I work in the cloud ) it doesn't work neither.

I am losing the hope.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 0
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say that you have been working in the cloud do you possibly mean with a google drive? There have been a number of reports of incompatibility problems between InDesign and Google. If this is so you might also try contacting Google for possible advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that , and could be an option , but this will have no explanation about why I cannot open the file properly in my C drive , once downloaded from the server. It's not that is not finding the links  , is that that the file looks empty , even having 157 pages.

I guess , That I have lost one week of work.

Any other idea?

Thanks for your help.

Marta

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 0
Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best piece of advice that I can give is to always back up jobs to an external drive at the end of every work session (on super critical jobs even more often). Also make saving the file a reflex action hitting Command/Control-S every couple of minutes. It may seem like tedium to do all of this but it certainly is the best way to assure that a major disaster can be turned into only a minor pain in the butt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

I will keep you posted in case it can be fixed by our IT department.

Thanks

Marta

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me

It shows the linked images in the link windows but nothing on the pages

no text no frames nothing no imported line art

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would do (after Edit > Undo a few times) is select the first text frame in the document and choose Edit > Edit in Story Editor. Is the text visible? If so, let us know and we can help you display it again. If all you see is a single #, then the text is gone. If Undo still doesn't bring it back, restore an earlier version of the document and pick up from there.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no chance to undo

i saved in the blank state hoping it was simply a viewing error

15.6 MB file 12.9MB copy saved 1.2 MB idml file saved

all blank

the curious thing is all the links are reporting

but EVERYTHING is gone

and a select all shows nothing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0