Highlighted

InDesign files automatically converted to PDF

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I had an .indd file that i incorrectly tried to convert to PDF by just changing the extension of the file. Working with a PC. 

While i understadn this is not the usual way of creating a pdf, i was having a moment and went with it.

As a consequence, this file, and all other indd files in that folder, and then all of my other .indd files in other folder ALL changed to PDFs.

Help!  How do i get my .indd extended files back?

When i open the files in InDesign, the funcctionality appears to be there, but still refuses to save, copy or create new files with an .indd extension.

What did i do, how do i fix the problem and how do i make sure i never do it again?

Thanks.

Elizabeth

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I agree with Eric. Please follow instructions given on this help article to set up the default apps accordingly. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign files automatically converted to PDF

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I had an .indd file that i incorrectly tried to convert to PDF by just changing the extension of the file. Working with a PC. 

While i understadn this is not the usual way of creating a pdf, i was having a moment and went with it.

As a consequence, this file, and all other indd files in that folder, and then all of my other .indd files in other folder ALL changed to PDFs.

Help!  How do i get my .indd extended files back?

When i open the files in InDesign, the funcctionality appears to be there, but still refuses to save, copy or create new files with an .indd extension.

What did i do, how do i fix the problem and how do i make sure i never do it again?

Thanks.

Elizabeth

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I agree with Eric. Please follow instructions given on this help article to set up the default apps accordingly. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you confirm the version of your software and operating system?

can you check in your file association (control panel) that indd files are linked to InDesign and pdf files are linked to Acrobat?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but still refuses to save, copy or create new files with an .indd extension"

What does that "refusal" look like?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0