Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Files Exporting Blurry

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to export a file from InDesign as a PNG, but the result is always blurry and pixelated. When I export as a PDF, it looks great. I have been able to export files as PNGs in the past and it looked just as good as the PDF, but recently everything is blurry and I'm not sure what changed. The file is readable, but just doesn't look as good as it used to. Most often, I need a PDF, but I occasionally need a PNG or JPG for social media and emails.

I've also tried exporting as a PDF and then changing to a PNG (or even JPG) from there, but the result is the same.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? Or any ideas for making the quality better?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PNG will always be blurry because it's not a format which preserves type and vector objects well. The export format has not changed.

You'll get better results (but the file size will balloon much larger), if you change your resolution setting in the PNG export dialog from the default 72 ppi to 300 ppi or higher.

If you need vector and type quality, you must use PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Changing the resolution setting to 300 ppi helped a lot.

So, if I am regularly creating social media posts and flyers for the web/email (thus needing a PNG), what do you suggest is the best program to use? I have always just used InDesign because I am the most familiar with it and feel it works well. Will another program, say Photoshop or Illustrator, give me better results? I would love to just use a PDF everywhere all the time, but obviously that's not possible.

I appreciate your help, as I am relatively new to all this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. PNGs are such a hassle and every program seems to have some kind of issue with them, but it's the only way to get a transparent background in your final image which I need for designing logos and watermarks and such. I know for a fact that Indesign isn't the correct tool for that but it's what I have access to. From what I understand Illustrator and Photoshop do better with creating PNGs but I don't know if it would solve this particular issue. I would be interested to know a pro's opinion on your 2nd question above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSDs and TIFFs and PDFs all maintain transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I had no idea. I've never worked with a PSD and I've only seen a TIFF once, but I work with PDFs every day and have never seen one with a transparent background. I'm not seeing the option for transparent background when exporting to a PDF. What would I need to select to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would suggest you to look at the Adobe spark bundle for mobile and tablets and specifically Spark Post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export feature in InDesign is awful compared to even most open-source (free) graphics applications. It only offers two file formats for exporting bitmap images, the other being JPEG which does not support transparency. Text is often unreadable under 300 ppi, even on "maximum" quality with anti-aliasing turned on. What I've been forced to do is export vector images to PNG at some absurd resolution like 1200 ppi, then open that new file in Photoshop, resize the image to a web-friendly resolution like 72, 96, and 150 ppi, then save. The resulting image is much sharper and any text is much easier to read than the crap InDesign outputs at those same resolutions. It's a needlessly painful procedure if I need to process hundreds of images though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to  PLACING the files into the indesign document, not pasting them. File->Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you can do it by saving it to PDF high quality .. and then open it from Photoshop .. and reduce the dpi from 300 to 72 .. then export it to PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines