• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign font corruption?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I'm working on a file in InDesign that uses the font Montserrat. I've downloaded the provided Montserrat (OTF) files (from the ind package) as well as the full Montserrat (TT) suite from Google fonts, but when I try to type in Montserrat (TT) Semibold I get this strange error- all text comes out looking like this. 

I would love some opinions on what is happening so I can try to fix it! I have a feeling it's the combination of (OTF) and (TT) fonts. If it is, I'd love to hear about a workaround/solution for that. Thank you!
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.14.45 AM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

It's never a good idea to mix different formats of the same font. Either use the ttf files, or the otf, but do not mix them. And if the fonts are provided in the fonts folder that was packaged, you do not need to “download” them nor to install them. Just open the indd file and the fonts will be recognized and used, just for this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's never a good idea to mix different formats of the same font. Either use the ttf files, or the otf, but do not mix them. And if the fonts are provided in the fonts folder that was packaged, you do not need to “download” them nor to install them. Just open the indd file and the fonts will be recognized and used, just for this file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help! I will keep it to just one font format from here on out.

I do have one more question if you don't mind- when I opened the original file, it said that there were several fonts missing even though I had downloaded all the provided fonts. Do you have any idea what would cause that kind of problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What do you mean by “I had downloaded all the provided fonts”?

If these fonts are located in a folder named “Document fonts“, you have nothing to do. These fonts will be automatically used in the indd file provided in the package folder and will be available only for this file. Do not rename the folder, just do nothing…

If the fonts have been provided to you by another way, you must install them in your system and after that, they will be available for any file in any application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines