Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign for Mac - Larger icons when in the 'Place' window

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Please can you let me know how to increase the size of the Icons within the windown when you're placing images for Mac users, see below screengrab:

nicka12058422_1-1612788632922.png

As I can't see the images well enough to make any choices here (outside of having another general mac finder window up with the icons scaled up within - as can be done easily within that UI - as a reference, and then flipping between the two, which of course is a messy way of working).

Apologies if it is a common and easy little button or scaler somewhere that I haven't seen! I imagine it's a common thing and sorry again for not being able to find it - but I couldn't find anything in any forum addressing this specifically.

Many thanks in Advance! 

Nicholas

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Ok; many thanks all.

I can see that there is nothing I'm missing and is indeed a 'it can't do that' answer.

Many thanks all, I hope helps others to see this plainly, and I will  re-log under 'fix request'.

Many thanks again all.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Under the Finders View options > Show View Options you can change the Icon size.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 8.07.11 AM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mike,

Many thanks indeed for getting back to me!

Unfortuanetly that has no affect.

If I correctly interpreted your answer; that increses the general icon size as an overall throughout the mac, see attcahed image 01

But the Icons within InDesign, when looking to Place images, remain as before, see attached image 02

Please let me know if I have miss-understood your solution.

If not; any further ideas welcome!

Best,

Nicholas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the response given earlier, I'd recommend checking out this Apple support article(https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp2209/mac) to know how you can customize icons on macOS.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ashutosh,

Many thanks also for getting back to me!

Hmm, I think we may be going in circles here and getting off topic (re the last chaps idea also). The issue is with InDesign not the overall finder Mac etc.

And whilst I recognise the 'bootstrap' potential methodology of some fix whereby ALL the icons of Mac are altered for the sake of this one fix; it wouldn't really be a fix as it would make your everyday mac working environment pretty awful. Also - given my attempt of Mike's idea was something linked to that concept, just through the basic sense at any rate (using the basic Finder scale all icon function - rather than getting into any custom command/Xcoding world) it didn't have any affect, as I would assume Adobe as a suite and certainly its specific programs, dictate all that sort of thing within themselves (I could be wrong - this sort of thing is not my specialty!)

At any rate the thrust of my question is: is there a way of doing or option within Indesign for scaling up the Icons when in the 'place' UI, or failing that a way of activating the functionality for this that the MAc already has via the slider in the bottom right of windows that appears when you are in icon view mode (the slider allowing you to custom scale the icons per window you are looking at at will).

If I could ask you to, respectfuly of course, please review the detail of my original question. Thanks!

Further: It would be an OK outcome if we could at least resolve it just to the point of - 'no that cannot be done'. Then I know and can re-log this as a fix request rather than a how to, and others searching the same inquiry can know also.

Thanks in Advance,

Nicholas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nicka12058422 :

I was just playing with this on my Mac (macOS 11.2, Big Sur) and changing the icon size in Finder did not have any impact on the icons in the Place dialog box. I reviewed the accessibility commands and didn't find anything there that would help either (and InDesign does not have its own icon-scaling control). If I'm missing something and the Finder settings should impact the Place icons, @Ashutosh_Mishra, please let me know.

But Macs do have an easy zoom option that you can enable in System Prefs > Accessibility > Zoom. I use the Control key since it isn't used elsewhere in my workflow. If you make the Place window smaller so that the icons wrap onto multiple rows, you could hold the Control key and use a two-finger gesture (up or down) to quickly zoom in, find what you are looking for and then zoom back out. I use it all the time in any situation where what I'm looking at (i.e., anchor points in InDesign when editing with the Direction Selection tool) are too small for my eyes to see clearly. Like you, I'm not ready to change the system resolution and impact the size of everything. 

zoom.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok; many thanks all.

I can see that there is nothing I'm missing and is indeed a 'it can't do that' answer.

Many thanks all, I hope helps others to see this plainly, and I will  re-log under 'fix request'.

Many thanks again all.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Nick! Did you ever figure out a solution? It's driving me NUTS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution = ditch mac.

Go back to PC.

Seriously.

Best,
Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrating! INdesign used to have the ability - a scroll bar to increase/decrease the grid icons so you could ACTUALLY SEE what image you were choosing to place... why would @adobe  take that helpful tool away????  @adobe  are you listening???  UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultvinxklj8mvuc:

@adobe  are you listening???  UGH!

This is a user-to-user forum: users helping other users. If you want to reach out to Adobe directly, be sure to use the uservoice page.

https://indesign.uservoice.com

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultvinxklj8mvuc , In CC2014 there was the MiniBridge panel, which might be what you are referring to? It was a very helpful tool, but the coding for plugins prior to CC2014 was ActionScript/Flash, so I think that panel was abandoned along with Flash.

You can still drag and drop from Bridge, and MiniBridge can be replicated by making a small Workspace in Bridge. Something like this:

Screen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There‘s also OSX’s Column View which I don’t think was mentioned above. This is Mojave, if I drag the expand icon in the last column the image expands with the column width:

Screen Shot 16.png:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I would see in the icon-view the images bigger, I press the space bar for Quicklook...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Its work perfect for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting me know. It is an unofficial workaround, but it does work. So far the only thing to note is what iconsize works for you. I have a standard 1280 x 800 screen, so 256 works best for me. Retina models seem to do well with 160.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines