Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign freezes after ca. 35 seconds

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX 10.15.5 and ID 15.1.1

ID starts and act normal, but freezes after ca. 30-35 secs after program start.
No document open.
I already deleted preferences and caches, disabled network and GPU, no plugins.

Deinstalled and newly installed : same problem.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

See the following discussion

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-15-0-3-crashing-freezing-on-macos-catalina/td-p/11160949?page=1

Edit :- I just noticed that you did share the OS and ID information, apologies for not noticing it the first time and asking for it

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the following discussion

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-15-0-3-crashing-freezing-on-macos-catalina/td-p/111...

Edit :- I just noticed that you did share the OS and ID information, apologies for not noticing it the first time and asking for it

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yepp, GPU is off, profile is set to Apple RGB, no fonts installed (I use FontXplorer, latest version, no plugins activated).

Will try later in safe mode. Im now out for a hike... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked the OSX protected mode (starting with Shift key pressed during power up).
That worked.

So my next thoughts/step was: something is loaded (in the background) which Indesign doesn't like.
First I started Indesign and waited for the freeze.
Then I started a terminal session (/programs / Utilities / Terminal) and listed all the processes
ps -ax

I then killed step by step 'programs/services running from which I know that are not directly neccesary.
To do this you find in that listing entries like

540 ?? 0:00.05 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreSpeech.framework/corespeechd
541 ?? 0:00.71 /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Upda
542 ?? 0:00.30 /usr/libexec/routined LAUNCHED_BY_LAUNCHD

The first number in each row is the pid of that process.

To kill this process you type for example:
sudo kill -HUP 541 (that request also that you type in your password)
This is a relatively save process as you do not change any configuration of your computer. If somethinggoes wrong, restart your computer and you're back in business.
From recent installations I found two entries:

430 ?? 0:00.18 /usr/local/bin/FAHCoreWrapper /Library/Application Support/FAHClient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/v
431 ?? 27:54.77 /Library/Application Support/FAHClient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/v7/osx/64bit/avx/Core_a7.fah/Fa

FAH is a tool that lets you spent idle time of your comuter for eg. Corona researchers
I killed both and deleted from the above path the appropriate directories (I already deinstalled the software, but these were not properly removed).

After killing I checked the InDesign status if the program comes back to life.
And : InDesign works.

Conclusion:
I think that these two deamons caused the problem, BUT I am not yet fully convinced that this is true.
These two deamons were already in place and previous InDesign versions had no problem with that.
Maybe it was a kind of update of OSX and ID in conjunction that raised this problem.

Question:
If you check the folder Application Support/Adobe/ you find older support files like 

• Bridge CC 2018
  • Bridge CC 2019
  • Extension Manager CS5.5
  • Extension Manager2

Do these entries do anything if the original Software is already deinstalled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines