Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign freezing with wifi/internet on

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe (users),

I have a problem with my Indesign CC 2017. It started 2 or 3 weeks ago I think. The problem is as following:

When working in Indesign (scrolling, creating text, viewing, creating new document, everything) the application is freezing for 10 to 20 seconds (Mac - spinning color wheel). After the freeze, I can work for about 10 or 20 seconds and it does the same again. If I turn of my wifi/internet during this freeze Indesign starts working normal again. Of course I cannot work without internet all the time.

Adobe on the phone was also unable to help me. Hope the issue will be solved on this forum.

Tried already:

-Empty the cache
-Uninstall - install Indesign again

-Working in different documents

My system:

Mac OSX El Capitan (version 10.11.1 - 15B42)

Macbook Pro Retina 15" - mid 2015

2,5 intel i7

16gb memory

AMD Radeon R9 M370x 2048MB

I hope there is somebody that had the same problem and fixed it. I'm about to throw my Macbook in 1000 pieces - with this behaviour..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for reporting the issue and sharing the related details.

For further investigating this issue, please share with me a small video showing the issue. That would help us in understanding the problem better. You can send the video at monsingh@adobe.com

Also, as a workaround you can try to work in Typical display Mode.

Set the Typical mode by navigating to View-->Display Performance--> Typical Display. It should resolve your issue.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

I sent you an email already with the video. On the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5oerQyczE​ it is stuck at the beginning and almost at the end.

The weird thing is; when the freezing is happening - the Mac spinning wheel is not showing, but on my computer it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the same problem with InDesign CC 2017 since one week, I turned off my wifi ... and I could finally work.

But it is not a definitive solution, I hope that Adobe will be able to fix this bug ...

matth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if your application has fallen prey to the "must continually check hyperlinks" behavior of InDesign. Not sure if you are using hyperlinks, but you might try unchecking Auto Update URL Status in the Hyperlinks panel. Normally, this wouldn't be the first thing I'd reach for, but saying that it gets fixed when disconnecting from the internet made me wonder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have the same problem. I have noticed my indesign freezes every time my internet slows down, specially when I am uploading something into dropbox for example, it has a HUGE affect on Indesign.

Is there a way to disconnect Indesign from the internet instead of having to work offline?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you storing your files on a server rather than your local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't work online, you download the application to your computer and use it in the normal way. Adobe checks (possibly once a month) that you're up-to-date with your subscription. So the internet will have nothing to do with your application slowing down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem as well. Looks like this has been happening for some people since 2017! I'm using Creative Cloud - 2021. It only happens at my office. The wifi at home and my hotspot and other places work fine. My laptop is not connected to a server while at the office - just wifi. An Apple desktop that is hardwired in doesn't have the problem and an iMac that connects via wifi works fine. Just my MacPro mid-2015. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen if you restart and don’t launch any browsers? There have in the past been reports of browser plug-ins interfering with CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check this tomorrow in case it helps track down an issue. It couldn't be the complete solution because at some point I will be launching browsers and email while working having InDesign file open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works, then it would likely be a browser plugin, so you could start by disabling any browser plugins then enabling them one at a time. Also try disabling an InDesign startup scripts or plugins you are running and see if the problem is coming from an add on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked by not having browsers open when I came in this morning. Then crashed once I launched. I will try turning off the plugins to Chrome and see if that is the issue. Seems this may be the first suggestion with a solution thus far. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it today turning all chrome plugins off and no other browsers open. It worked for a while and now InDesign is spinning. I will need to turn off wifi to work in InDesign. I do research as I am working on a proposal and not having internet access is creating frustrating delay. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen if you don’t run Chrome use Safari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, are you running any InDesign plugins (⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Plug-Ins⁩) or Startup Scripts (Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts⁩ ▸ ⁨startup scripts⁩)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Experiencing this too, and have tried everything that I can see suggested, including turning off any internet-based preference/extension/feature I can find, changing browser, disabling browser extensions, trashing indesign prefs, clearing out fonts, reinstalling InDesign. The only thing that works is turning off WiFi. So, I now share a WiFi internet connection to my iMac from a MacBook via ethernet, and InDesign now works without the spinnging beachball popping up every other minute.

I do have a rubbish internet connection here, but it shouldn't cause InDesign to fail like this. Especially given, via the method above, I have exactly the same internet speed but without WiFi.

So this is my workaround I guess until this issue is fixed.

My System:

InDesign version 15.1.3

MacOS Big Sur (11.3.1)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines