Hello, I'm trying to generate a table of contents and it's not picking up the one paragraph style I've specified. Thus, my TOC is blank. Here's what I'm doing:
1) Open "Table of Contents" document and click Layout > Table of Contents
2) Set the table of contents as per image below and click "OK"
3) Result is shown in image below
As you can see my "Table of Contents" document is my style source, and I synchronized just before trying to generate the TOC. There is no spelling discrepancy in the style name between documents. The paragraph style is in use in most of the documents, e.g. the image below:
What am I doing wrong here?
P.S. here is a link to the files if anyone wants to take a closer look:
I can't figure it out but I'll leave some clues for the next person who gives it a shot:
There are a number of very talented folks who help out on this forum. Let's see what else is discovered that I missed. Worse case is to rebuild the files. I did a quick rebuild of the Free Trade file—new doc, same page specs, imported the paragraph styles and pasted the text, and it worked as expected.
Edit: The files have a particularly large number of master pages and unnamed character styles. Removing them didn't help.
Another thing that I found in working with these files: You can make a new text box in the existing documents with that paragraph style, TOC will pick it up. Further, if you copy the text out of its existing text frame and then paste it into a new one, TOC will pick up the title. That points to the problem being somehow with the text frames, not the documents or the text itself.
I have seen a kind of corruption in text frames.
One long shot might be to create a new object style for the text frames, that doesn't change the appearance. maybe give it a fill of paper if that doesn't affect the layout, and apply it to the frame of the master page. See if that might wake up to text frames and caused them to behave properly 🙂
Otherwise, Barb's solution of rebuilding the files may be the only way out.
Thanks to you both for for checking into it. I had this same problem with a previous book so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
That's what I mean about the clever people on this forum, @SJRiegel! 😊
Susan is right—I selected the original free trade story, cut it, deleted all of the empty text frames and reflowed the pasted text. Bingo! We still don't know why the frames are a problem but this will be much faster than rebuilding all of the chapters.
Were all the chapters (for both books) based on a previous file (.indd or .indt)? Maybe the frame issue originated there and was copied forward with each new file.
Even with everything pointing to the threaded frames, I still can't pinpoint the issue, other than suspected corruption. But again, while you now have a way forward, maybe someone else will swing by with something they recognize that we are still overlooking.
Yes, I have a book file that I use as a sort of template and I copy the style source document and build a new book around that, doing a "save as" for each new document to preserve the styles. That's why you found so many unused master pages etc. I'll recreate this book and use that as a fresh template.
If there's a better way to do this, I'd be glad to know.
Thanks again for your help.
If it were me, I would:
I had a few more observations that were off-topic so I didn't share them, but you could use the running head variable to handle the headers (and get down to 2-3 master pages), and you can use an invisible rule above to add the space above the title instead of a paragraph return. If you need more details on either topic—or anything else—swing back by when you are ready to start the template. (Remember that each separate question should be its own post.)
I'm going to go ahead @SJRiegel's post as the correct answer. She is the one who figured out it was a frame issue. 😊