• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign has become Unusable — Constantly Freezes.

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign 2021 on a 2020 MacBook Pro running 10.15.7

When I export segments of my document as PDFs, InDesign will usually work the first time. If I try to export a second part of my document, InDesign will freeze.  Sometimes it will clear itself and start working again after about two minutes, but most of the time I have to do a force quit.

This makes this program virtually unusable as it is taking me an entire work day to do the exports that used to take me about an hour.

It does not seem to matter whether I am running any other programs, and rebooting my computer has no effect on the problem.

Any idea why InDesign is doing this? Or how to fix it?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Are you using a third-party application such as a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I have 32 GB RAM, and 1.5 TB of free disk space. I am not using any third-party font management software, and this freezing occurs regardless of whether I am running other applications or not.  I have uninstalled the previous version of InDesign so the only version on my system is the current one. All of my applications are updtated to the latest version.

InDesign functions flawlessless until it's time to export. That's when it starts freezing. So there is some bug / issue in the export function, I think. I can ususslly export a couple of segments of my text before I get the spinning wheel of death.  Sometimes if I just leave the computer alone, the freeze will clear on its own after a couple of minutes, but sometimes not. It's like the system has an anxiety attack if I ask it to export more than one or two segments of my larger document.

I have looked online and apparently this has been an issue for some other people as well, but nobody seems to know what to do about it. Is this a bug with InDesign?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. In addition to the suggestion given by Derek, you may also try suggestions given on this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign...).

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines