• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign — Has "Redefine Paragraph Style" been removed?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with paragraph styles within inDesign, after making style changes within a text box, I used to be able to control-click on the corresponding paragraph style within the Paragraph Styles window and select "Redefine Style." This would update that paragraph style according to the settings which had been applied to the said text box. However, in inDesign 2021 (Version 16.1) I no longer see this option (see attached image). Has it been moved somewhere else? This was such a handy feature. It would be a shame if Adobe has removed it. 

TOPICS
Feature request , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

No, it is still here but you must have the text tool active. It does not work if you select the text frame with the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is still here but you must have the text tool active. It does not work if you select the text frame with the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved it! I thought I had been doing that but I guess not because it's showing up for me now. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as OP (InDesign 18.0) 
The option is not available even with text tool active!

It used to work flawlessly before the update. Any clue why?

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 12.56.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not install version 18 but I doubt that it has been removed, but seeing your screenshot, it is normal that you don't see it: this option appears only if the style has been overriden (the small + sign), which is not the case here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s in the panel flyout menu, looks like you are showing the style’s contextual menu:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also in the contextual menu:

Capture d’écran 2021-04-09 à 17.36.43.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines